083: Aubrey

083: Aubrey

"Maybe the reason you're feeling anxious is because the spirit is telling you that it's not safe."

Rafe turned to me with his eyes narrowed. "Now why would the spirit do that?"

"We're engaged. I'm now your responsibility. Maybe...."

"You're my responsibility? What do you mean?"

I was talking very low, leaning into his shoulder. "You're the man. You're the priesthood holder. God holds you accountable for the welfare of your family. I'm your future family. Maybe the mantle has already changed from my dad to you, and maybe you are getting the inspiration needed as my husband.... Oh, I don't know." I said this in frustration and turned away.

But Rafe was having none of it. He tightened his hand on my leg. "What exactly are you talking about? You're talking Mormon lingo so fast I'm having trouble keeping up. You said that the mantle transfers--- what does that mean?"

I really didn't want to discuss it here. We should be enjoying ourselves, happy, excited. There were photographers around. I didn't want my picture to be all dire and gloomy.

Rafe was completely centered on me now. "I've heard that term before, Aubrey. I get that a priesthood holder has duties, and is accountable. I get that. I was a priest once. I get it. But the mantle? I've never heard that."

"To preside, to receive revelation for your... family. Or whatever your calling is. If you're the prophet, then you have the mantle to receive revelation for the whole church, and it's your responsibility to protect and direct the church--- that trickles down to each individual priesthood holder as well. In your family, you are the man. You are it. I was just thinking...."

He leaned back. His eyes were far away and he was not blinking or smiling. I put my hand over his on my leg and squeezed, about to say something apologetic, maybe even to pacify and encourage him to think about something else, we could talk about it later.

His head fell forward and then he leaned into me in all seriousness. "Aubrey, that's exactly it. That's what I've been feeling. It's the spirit, and it has been warning me to protect you."

I glanced up to see just how serious he really was. He wouldn't have me on would he? He wouldn't say that to make me think---- no, he wouldn't. He was kind of pale.

"Then I guess the mantle has transferred. I told you I trust you. And I told you I feel protected by you. I guess I was getting those feelings too."

He blinked as if blinking tears away and folded his napkin in his lap to cover a sudden nervousness. I worried that that information might cause him to feel alarm.

"Where did the mantle transfer from? The prophet?" He was all seriousness.

I smiled. "No, from my dad."

"Your dad?" He looked confused.

"A father has responsibility to receive all revelation for his family, until such time as individual daughters become the--- responsibility of their husbands. I mean, a father still has responsibility--- but when a daughter marries---."

"We have to talk about this more later."

"You're not worried are you?"

He screwed up his lips. "I'm not sure what it is I'm feeling, or in what direction to go with it, but right now--- there is too much noise--- and too much other stuff going on." He smiled reassuringly. "It's going to be okay. You will be protected. I promise, Aubrey."

Aubrey (Revolving With Axis)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें