121: Aubrey

121: A

"Want to walk? I saw a parque not too far."

"Yes." I said grateful for the movement, but not the obligation of running and yoga. I am not a girl who feels incapacitated by the onset of her period, but I sometimes pamper myself. And mixing up the routine is very common for me.

We got in the van and managed to find the park and a nice trail that led through it, around an artificial pond/ lake, and some gardens. Tim stayed well behind us. No one was around except a runner on the other side of the water, and some ducks.

Rafe took my hand and we walked. It was not too hot out yet, but the air was ready to be warmed, it had that sticky quality.

"What is the right drinking age, do you think?" He finally asked as we circled the pond, on a dirt trail, with overhanging trees, buzzing with mosquitoes.

"Controversial topic number five?"

He nodded as we strolled, he tucked my arm close to his body after a few minutes and then brought my fingers to his lips to blow on them. His breath was cool, and my hands were sweaty. I felt nauseatingly sweaty. It was kind of a strong PMS reaction, and I half way wondered if I had food poisoning.

"Om.... Drinking age. In all seriousness. Leave it at 21. I wouldn't think drinking should be around anyway, it is so detrimental to most people. But, well, it's been around for centuries, and hasn't gone away no matter how many times it is outlawed, so let's just leave it at 21."

"Agreed." He said too quickly. I gave him the eye, and he smiled and blew on my fingers.

"Nice. And harsher punishments for DUI's."

"Too expensive. Not practical."

"Okay."

"Agreed?"

"Yes. With the stipulation that this particular topic may get discussed again."

"Or, if you disagree, we can shoot for it." He winked at me, to let me know he hadn't forgotten he'd really beat me good already once.

"So.... Controversial subject six: Food mixed on the plate or not?" I asked seriously and he nodded, rubbing his chin in thought.

"Man, that's hard, and a good question. Globally, I think people prefer their ingredients mixed properly, but all in all, I don't think non-intentionally cooked foods should touch on the plate."

"It's all going to the same place." I reminded him and he still rubbed that chin.

"Yeah, but on the off chance that the items on the plate are not compatible, which they should be, but like your fruit salad needs to stay away from your hot dog bun, yes?"

"Agreed, then. On that basis, for sure. Hot dog buns should never touch fruit salad."

He pointed ahead of us on the trail. "Is that an armadillo?"

I looked. Yes, a little one, coming right toward us on the dirt trail. It looked seriously determined. I felt trepidation. Are armadillos nice? Do they bite? They're like wild animals, right? Not domesticated, are they?

It came at us, and we both separated and jumped away from it, so it came toward me. I backed up as far as I could go next to the duck poop filled shoreline, and not get my flip flops smeared in mud and guck. The little creature still came at me. Its eyes were ---yes, beady--- its nose long, and it did have claws and teeth, and a weird grin like it enjoyed scaring me. I dug the rest of my empanada out of the little pouch bag I carried over my shoulder when we might need money. I crumbled a piece of it and tossed it away from me, toward the little hard shelled, spiny legged, long-snouted thing, and it stopped, sniffed and settled down to eat.

"Do you see that?" Rafe had his phone out, and was videoing. "Look, Aubrey! You're feeding an armadillo!" Only he said it in distinct syllables, like ar—ma—dil—lo. And then he howled, showing both dimples. The little creature stood up and looked at him curiously, and then back at me, and its fierce little teeth showed in its creepy little smile, and I crumbled more for him, before he could come and bite me.

"He's eating my whole empanada!" I cried, as he advanced on me again, looking for more.

"Yeah, okay, save some, try and walk away, he's gonna come get you, you better just give it up, man!" Rafe was laughing hard and I wanted to scream as the creepy little non-furry guy came after me, no matter where I tried to go. I went by Rafe and he followed me, I went anywhere else, and he followed me then too. Eventually I was up against the lake, and the armadillo was under my feet and I was dance stepping to get away from it, and yeah, I had to climb Rafe to get away and he had to run with me clinging to him, laughing and laughing.

"It's just a little armadillo!" Rafe was trying to let me down, but I was having none of it. I looked all around, expecting to see more of them.

"It's a creepy little armadillo." I insisted and Rafe laughed till he fell on the ground with me in his arms, and then me sitting on top of him, looking around for the armadillo.

Rafe could barely breathe he was laughing so hard. I hit him with my bag, and he threw up his arms, but kept laughing, even though I basically had him pinned.

"Stop laughing at me!" I grabbed his chin and tried to make him shut up, but he wouldn't. So I put my hand over his mouth, and gave him my evilest eye, which only made him double up in paroxysms of giggles. I finally used my lips to shush him and even though he snorted, he couldn't resist the kissing, and finally subsided into panting snorts as he kissed me back.

*******