038:

Rosewood Proper, the family estate is sprawling. It's one of the largest mansions in the United States. That's funny, too, it wasn't because my parents wanted to be ostentatious, but because they had so many kids.

Rafe and I walked from Kell and Maille's. The clouds had rolled in and a droopy overcast hung in the air, with clouds forming just over the far trees, and some of the hills. It was a half a mile to the house at least, and it was cold. I wore black leggings and boots, a silver and gray sweater dress, with a high neck and long, comfortable sleeves. It looked like a bag when it hung on the clothes hanger, but on me, it showed off the curvy places. I knew I looked good. My hair was up and straggling artfully, my make-up was parent perfect.

Rafe wore dress slacks, a white button down open at the neck—and red sneakers. His gray/ white hoodie shot through with marbled green and blue was chic. He'd shaved, completely, except for his dark hair still standing up straight on top, as it came in. He was without a doubt the hottest guy I'd ever seen. Hotter than Cousin Stevie, and Kell rolled together, and his eyes were lovelier than my dad's, Parker's, and Matthew's. He held himself with a swaggering stance that was at once confident and endearing. He simply eschewed interest in everything and everybody with this intensity that drew you in, like it or not.

I wondered how it would be when he met my dad. The second most charismatic man in my life.

I snuggled my arm in the crook of his, and as we walked, I tried for some of that easy banter we'd cultivated on days one through three. He was slightly subdued, but made an effort. His arm wasn't a bit stilted, and he kept me close to his body. I just sensed this uneasiness, where none had been before.

It's not Fort Rosewood on the Flathead for nothing. There are security measures all over the house. We went in through the teen wing, on the first floor, and up the stairs that connected to the main house through the storage closets and overhead aerial walkway. When we entered the main house we were on the second floor. No one was there. The carpeting in the hall had been redone since I'd been here, and was now a very sedate cream. Mom had probably guessed I'd come in this way and had the curtains drawn so we looked out over the lawns and kids plots to the lake. I told him all about the set up on our way to the far side of this hallway, then I let him open the door and precede me.

The room you walk into on this level is honestly my favorite and the view of the rooms is spectacular. Of course, the walls overlooking the lake are all windows, and then the giant fireplace, rock, and brick and just unique wood and weird sparkly gem like stones... above it is our family portrait, whatever the most recent one is. We have it done every other Christmas, when we are all together, and not at the in-laws. It's impressive to say the least.... Simply amazing that all those people are in one family, and all of them are in the same picture looking fantastic, and all the little kids are looking perfect.

I knew the effect. But Rafe first saw my mother.

"I'm having a little celebrity awe!" He declared and dropped my hand to walk to her, holding out his arms for a hug.

To me my mom is just my mom. I wasn't born yet when she was already one of the world's biggest pop divas. So I've never known her when she wasn't. If that makes sense. It's just a part of her. She was already that. For me.

Her smile was crinkly--she swung her trademark hair, and encircled Rafe in her arms. "I am serious about recording with you while you're here." She kissed his cheek. "I'm a big fan."

He threw back his head and laughed, as my dad approached from behind, and heard my mom say: "You've definitely earned your sexiest man in the world status. You're even better looking in person than on the cover of People."

Rafe eyed my dad. "I can't claim that status here." He said modestly as my dad's arms came around my mom from behind and he bent to kiss her cheek. Then he reached out to me.

"Hi Dad." He kissed me on the cheek too and gave me a dad sized hug, which were always the best. I had to smile a real smile. Even with Rafe watching, I felt like daddy's little girl all over again. It never failed.

"Aubrey. How are you?" That meant how was I doing with my grief. I'm sure Kell had filled him in about our conversation.

"I'm dealing." I said low, and Dad nodded and steered us down the main stairs where Kareem and his partner were already waiting, and Parker and Natalie were reclining in dinner clothing, making me glad I'd dressed nice.

After all the introductions were made, the shop talk started. Girls tended to gravitate to kid stuff if one of them had kids; in this case, Natalie was expecting their fifth, although she wasn't showing. She looked a little tired, and Mom started in with midwifery questions. Guys in our family talked shop differently. They talked like Rafe--- about projects and people and the industry. Typically this left me out. I usually didn't mind, I usually had my phone to occupy me, catching up on Facebook or something.

But I was seated next to Rafe. He leaned forward, resting on his knees, paying close attention to Kareem and Parker. But his leg burned where it pressed against mine, literally burned. His energy encompassed me completely. As if... I had the feeling—as if I were already a part of him.

Parker is a producer, I think I mentioned that. He is thirty-two. He knows everything. He is the smartest person I know, and I know a lot of smart people. After a while it was obvious Kareem and Rafe thought so too. Dinner was served and we all trooped back upstairs, completely comfortable in conversation now--- no booze at all--- Parker leading it all. He asked those pertinent questions, he acted like he had everything to learn from Dad and Rafe and Kareem. He included my mom in a lot of his thoughts, as he represented her interests now... as far as producing her songs. So Natalie and I sat quietly listening, and Natalie managed to look interestedly bored, and a little sick, as the fish was served next to wild rice, and some kind of squash made by none other than Macy in our upstairs kitchen. She was the head chef after all.

Rafe's foot negligently touched mine as he spoke animatedly. His arm brushed mine, his leg pressed against me. If anyone were watching, it was obvious we were a couple. This strange intimacy was suddenly in place where it hadn't been before. Just yesterday it hadn't been there when Johnny and Mack Truck had challenged us. But tonight, we were intimately a couple. As he finished his food, seriously-- Rafe laid his arm along the back of my chair and actually fingered my hair. Now that move was not lost on my mother.

Parker also likes to show off. He talks incessantly, and is well known for it. He includes, but he monopolizes at the same time. It's a weird combination. And when dessert was served, and the conversation lagged into weather, places, and the scenery Natalie excused herself. Parker looked stricken, then decided she was just pregnant, and therefore just normal. My mother left with her promising to come back as soon as she made sure Nat was okay. As a doctor I could have gone too, but there was nothing wrong with Nat and I couldn't tear myself away from Rafe's side.

Even when Parker broke out the guitars.

*****