090: Rafe

090: Rafe

While Aubrey was in the bathroom getting ready, Ben came up to me as I was about to get off the bus

"What's up, buddy?" I smiled at him.

"You guys are good together, Rafe." He said without a smile.

"And that's a good thing?" I prompted with a grin.

"It is, yeah. It's a really good thing. Don't screw it up."

"I'm not screwing it up, Ben."

He looked sheepish. "You might. You're not used to giving it up for anyone. But you need to learn to sacrifice."

I swallowed hard. This, coming from my best friend was getting a little personal. Nobody else would ever talk to me like this. "What are you saying?"

"She's a virgin, Rafe. Stop pushing her. Learn her--- think like her--- make her feel you."

That was so profound--- so like him--- he was a profound guy, and had gotten more profound as he made the decision to start a family and go back to church.

"Did she tell you that?"

"No--- it's written all over her." He grinned and slapped my hands. "And you're not."

I knew that--- I mean I get what he's saying. Why would she want to be with me when I have been so promiscuous? My attitude about sex has been casually defiant, and brutal in some cases. Cruel would be a better word. Like Bowie said. And my attitude about church--- well, it speaks for itself, although I'd been caving and hiding when it came to Aubrey--- I still had very strong opinions about the church and Ben well knew it.

"Just don't screw it up. She could be the best thing that's ever happened to you." He looked down, fairly characteristic of him, that kind of fake big dumb guy BS, or the fake humility. He was neither. But then his eyes snapped back up. "I think Troy sent her to you, Rafe."

I could barely breathe. Troy—ahhh. Troy....

He turned and went back inside the bus and I stood there at the van door. I stared at the sky, that darker blue of twilight sky, with wispy clouds, and orange at the base of the horizon over the strange open spaces where we'd parked. I felt my breath catch. I wasn't superstitious, I was spiritual. I'd told myself that a hundred times, a thousand. The mention of the mantle and the spirit had struck me hard. Now the mention of Troy--- from Ben. It hit even harder and in the same vein. I had a hand on the van and a hand on my hip, staring, but what I saw was Troy--- and Jesus.

It was a very powerful vision.

I turned as Aubrey came out of the bus.

Okay.

Okay....

For a moment I thought I was seeing an angel. The dress wasn't red, it was white. It was sexy--- way sexier than the black one. Form fitting, but not tight, it molded to her gently, with a high neck and sleeves of course, but it glittered like stars. Her hair was down in the back, and it was longer than I'd ever seen it, curled riotously like her mother's, and she'd pulled it back tight in front--- her eyes were luminous. She had to know the effect she had on me. She smiled hesitantly, not completely comfortable in this get up, but I knew she could see the admiration in my eyes.