076:

I got my dry t-shirt on over my damp body, and slammed my stuff into my day pack. At least I was mud free. I took his towel and held it up between the stall curtains and yelled at him that the clock was running. He was still laughing. The guys were calling out all kinds of banter, some funny, some not so funny. I tried to give as good as I got, but I wasn't very good at it. I guess I was sun burnt as well, and there was a lot to say about that. Rafe started the water again and I heard his sharply indrawn breath and then his loud cussing as he rinsed off in the cold shower.

I counted a series of fifteen cuss words. It made me so irritated. I finally dropped the towel and grabbed my stuff. I had to get out of there. I heard Rafe's protests amid the loud laughter of the crew and the band.

It was an hour till concert time. I ran through the tent pavilion and managed to get myself fairly lost. I didn't know any of the stage hands--- but I found myself heading up some stairs and realized I'd come out on stage. They were busy still raising beautiful large screens above me. I took the towel off and threw it, thought about what was in my bag, very little, and dropped it too. I sat down right there and put on my shoes and socks, tied my hair up in a messy bun, and grabbed my make up bag. I stared around looking for a way off. On the other side some guys were erecting a glamorous extension to the stage, and huge spotlights were going up above. I heard someone calling my name. I turned. If it was Dylan I'd probably deck him.

I knew running off wasn't my best bet in this situation, but for the life of me, my temper had taken control. It wasn't Dylan. It was Allen--- the assistant tour manager. He caught up to me, panting.

"Rafe wants you."

"He owes me like a hundred dollars. You tell him I said so."

"Okay?" He didn't know what I was talking about. I shook my hair out and redid the messy bun.

"I'll be down there tonight. Right in front. I'm going to experience this concert." I said this with more defiance than I needed to, but I was still humiliated and pissed off. Rafe hadn't sheltered me. He'd offered me up to the wolves!

"Why don't you come back up and get something to eat?" He had collected my back pack. I grabbed at it. He held it out of my reach. "What do you want?"

"Nothing!" I turned my back on him and started across the stage. I was just going to jump off and leap over all the equipment and the barriers and the bouncers and the lights and the photographers. He grabbed my shoulder and handed me a green room pass on a string. I took it and shoved it in my tight back pocket. I stuck my tongue out for good measure and then grabbed for the back pack one more time. I remembered my phone was in it.

"I'll take it back to the bus for you."

"I need my phone." He looked like lightning hit him, and he tossed it to me so I could retrieve it.

"You won't leave will you?"

"Leave for home? No. I'm just mad right now. I'll get over it."

"They don't mean no harm, Aubrey."

"I don't care, they're rude and inconsiderate, and perverts!"

He burst out laughing and I threw the backpack on the ground and stomped off, so mad I was seeing red. I did jump off the stage and this big huge Tommy Boy bouncer came trotting over to catch me. He gave me his hand so I didn't get tangled up in stuff. Somebody was testing the lights and the sounds and both sparked right by me, and I screamed. The big guy grabbed my hand and swung me over the barrier.

"You stay in this area, and I'll watch you." He said pleasantly, saluting Allen who managed to look relieved. I turned my back on them both.

I had money in my pocket from the last time I wore these jeans, I realized they were my favorites, frayed, light sand washed, with holes in the knees. But the t-shirt was too small and ratty looking. I'd meant it to be a sleep shirt, but on the bus there had been barely enough time to grab something. Not to mention I was very hungry. I reached in my pocket, hoping the money was significant. I did occasionally leave significant money in my pockets. I brought out a couple of twenties and a credit card.