019:

Rafe looked utterly calm and placid as we drove up the dirt road to Kell and Maille's place at dusk. The road was overhung with greenery--- pines, cedars, aspens, a couple of larger deciduous trees and bushes in full regalia. It was almost June here and that famous neon green was in place. He drove as well.

We'd talked smack on the two hour plane ride, regaling Kell with the tale of our prior weekend, leaving out the tragic deaths that surrounded it on either end. Not one word had been spoken detailing the why's I was at Rosewood, and why he was so willing to come here today too. Kell was a master at hilarious conversation, he kept us both laughing.

Their home was at the end of the road. It had a huge circular driveway overlooking a cul-de-sac that overlooked the Flathead River and parts of the estate. Kell had simply given us the key code. I saw tire tracks--- recent ones, not going into the garage. Cleaning people must have been here. It was a large and impressive home--- not a cabin, with lovely worked stone arches, and beautiful tall French windows. The landscaping sported two incredible peacocks strolling across the grass as well. It couldn't have been more picturesque.

He stopped in the driveway and asked if we should put the car in the garage. I agreed, and pushed the buttons to admit us. The garage lit up at our approach, and showed the usual trash can, a couple of very high shelves with orderly tubs or storage, a jeep, two four wheelers, the hanging wind surf boards and rafting equipment, even though most of these things could also be borrowed from the family boat house down on the lake. I knew there was a smaller pondish thing somewhere up behind the house, a short hike.

"Aubrey."

I looked over at him. I think he had lost weight. His facial hair covered even more sharply angular cheekbones, and his eyes looked slightly sunken. He was wearing a black jacket over the customary hoodie. His dark hair had grown in as I'd dreamed it, and was standing up at crazy angles as if he'd run his hands through it. He did so now, and it all fell back into perfect place. He smiled at me, and his eyes crinkled in warm satisfaction. He leaned over--- pursed his lips and closed his eyes.

I smiled, and gave him a little peck on the cheek. His eyes flew open and his mouth rounded in a surprised oh. One hand snaked out and splayed expertly into my hair catching me by the base of my neck as he pulled me in for a real kiss. Rafe's kiss was perfect. Like it had always been. Taking my breath, leaving me with no doubt about his affection, or his intentions.

"God...." He let my lips go but held me still, his eyes closed.

"Rafe, if you care for me at all.... Please.... Don't take His name in vain."

"Done. Just don't leave me again." He ran his palms down my arms. "I promise."

"Okay. I won't leave again without telling you where I am going."

"No, that's not enough. Promise... you won't leave me... ever." His eyes were dark blue, very vivid in that moment.

"Just what would that entail, Mr. Stryker?" My heart clenched. What exactly was he saying?

He eyed me carefully and then looked up behind me at the hills covered in trees around us and the cloudy evening sky. "Aubrey. I promise I won't take the name of God in vain--- in front of anybody--- ever again."

I caught my breath. He was making me a promise--- the kind of promise that meant something. Far more involved than the amount of time we had spent together warranted. In fact he had said and done things that suggested he was far more invested in this very minimal relationship than he should have been.