006:

I woke later. Woke all the way. I sat up quickly. My head was instantly dizzy, I ran my hand over it to still the swirling. I could hear the forced air heating, or air conditioner. That was all. How had I let myself get this sleep deprived? Dangerously sleep deprived.

I turned. On the bed next to me was the imprint of a head on the other pillow. I swallowed heavily, choked was more like it. The blankets on that side of the bed were rumpled and pulled back as if someone-- presumably Rafe Stryker-- had gotten out. On the foot of the bed were my clothes folded neatly. I swiveled to the night stand beside me. The clock there read ten-forty. Let's hope that was a.m.

I listened carefully, nothing. No noise at all. I started to swing my legs out and saw the note and blinked. In seconds, I registered the lovely daisy on top of it. Just a daisy.

The note read:

Aubrey,

I left you a smoothie in the frige. Thanks for the lovely evening. I've got work. See you later.

R

I blinked. Unbelievable. Yep.

Unbelievable.

Um, I plopped back onto the pillow, then reached over and took his pillow and pulled it to my face so I could sniff. Oh. My. Goodness. He smelled good.

I tossed the pillow back to its spot, pulled my taekwondo outfit toward me and without getting out from under the covers completely found a way to clothe myself. Then I pulled the blankets off the bed. I knew where the laundry room was. I was trained well.

I moved easily, knowing he wasn't home. Padding back and forth, starting the bedding in the washer. I found a cupboard and was surprised at how neat and organized he was. He'd said he was a clean freak and judging from the organization and the neatness I wasn't surprised. The smoothie was in the frige as he'd promised. But the kitchen was pristine; not a trace of his fixing it. It was green. I was used to green-- green meant spinach. I looked around slowly.

He had a huge walk in liquor pantry. I closed it immediately. His cupboards were well stocked, not the cupboards of the punk kid, but a grown man with specific habits and preferences. I felt like the snoop that I was and kept looking over my shoulder as if he could pop up at any moment. I went back to the massage room.

Unless housekeeping had been in this morning already which I highly doubted, Rafe was more than a clean freak. There were vacuum lines in the carpet, and the bathroom had been windex-ed till it sparkled. I slipped back the way I'd come, opened a hall closet and found the vacuum. After I remade the bed I would have to vacuum.

I drank my smoothie. It was packed. I could tell. I actually didn't make mine quite so packed. I found his protein powder above the range and examined the contents. Yeah, it was made for body builders.

I wandered over and stared at the poster on the wall. It was actually just an album cover. Did I remember the guys in the band? Rafe. Was there a Devin? I turned, inconsequential. I didn't know, and probably never would.

I peered up the stairs. Dare I?

Nancy Drew would have. But she was a super sleuth. She also had guts and was oblivious to danger. I was neither.

But, I was curious. I mean, how many opportunities would I have to wander around Rafe Stryker's personal space unchaperoned? Probably never again. I took one step up.

My hand trailed along the banister. Aubrey--

If the tables were turned how would you feel if he did this to you? Without you there? No.