010:

But we were actually-- the big cops were ready for us, and had escorted us back to our scooters, and finally stopped us from being followed as we high tailed it through people and booths and parking areas, and eventually back to Parker's.

We pulled up, breathless and giddy with exertion and the newness of our association. Lights were on inside. Cars besides ours were in the driveway. I recognized my niece, Kira's car.

There was no choice, we had to go in. I unlocked the door with my key and pushed the garage door button so we could put the segways away first. Kira and her friends turned a hall light on and Kira, with her long red hair swinging and her boyfriend walking with his hands around her waist, greeted us.

"Hey, Aubrey!" Kira shouted and her sister, sixteen year old Alanna came running in also. But she had her phone in her hand and something else on her mind altogether.

"Oh, my gosh! You're not going to believe this! Rafe Stryker is on stage down on the pier, right now! We have to go down there! It's Rafe Stryker! Come on, Kira!" She glanced up from her phone for just one second, as Kira had seen Rafe and was speechless, as was her boyfriend. "Hi, Auntie Aubrey..." She said in a distracted voice.

"Hi, Ally." I said, letting go of Rafe's hand to hug Kira. "Sorry to barge in on your party. We're not staying."

"No, no! Stay! You have to stay!" Kira found her voice.

Alanna was still staring at her phone, when Kira's boyfriend turned her face to focus on Rafe Stryker standing in the garage light right in front of her.

"Rafe Stryker's not on the pier, baby, he's right here!" Ally looked up in disbelief and then her jaw dropped, and her slight muffled scream was hidden behind her hand.

Rafe stepped forward, his charm all over this teenie bopper show. "Hi there. I'm Rafe." He shook her hand, pulled her in for a hug, stepped easily to the guys, hugged them, introduced himself, spoke to Kira gently, and then took my hand and moved confidently into the kitchen and living area where the lights were better and the kids had obviously been eating.

"Oh, my gosh, he is so hot, Aubrey, how the heck did you..." Kira didn't know what to say. "Were you guys just down on the pier?"

"Yeah." Rafe had gone to the frige and got himself some ice water; he got some for me too, and handed it to me. He seemed so completely relaxed. The room erupted in questions as about ten more kids jumped up from the floor in front of the TV and all began talking at once.

I don't remember how long we stayed there, talking, recalling the moments out on the boardwalk, commiserating with these teenagers, my brother Danny's two oldest daughters. We talked and ate crackers and cheese and drank juice and ate taquitos and guacamole, and made quesadillas, and eventually said we were going to go. It even took awhile to say goodbye.

We got into the car and started back toward the freeway before I found my old rapport.

"You are incredible."

He chuckled. "Yeah, I know."

"No, I mean it, Rafe, that was awesome. You were so good with those kids, and then out on the pier, your songs.... so...."

"You've never been to an Axis concert?"

I shook my head. "I've not had much time for concerts honestly. Fast track."

"I wanted you to see the real me before you watch the videos. Pretty sure you'll go home and watch them all."

"I've seen a lot of music videos, but I'm not recalling any of yours...."