068:

I waited, thinking that Aubrey would introduce us, or say something, but she didn't.

            I extended my hand. "I'm Rafe Stryker."

            Brother Alpatcha shook it firmly. "I'm so glad to meet you, Brother Stryker. Is there anything I can answer for you? Questions about the temple?"

            "Yeah." I said with as neutral voice as I could muster. "I'm a member of the church, at least I used to be. And I want to know what are the rules regarding coming inside?" I indicated the front desk obviously there to stop those unworthy.

            Brother Alpatcha smiled warmly. "Why don't you three step into my office where we can talk?"

            He turned expecting us to follow and strangely enough I  wanted to. I looked at my watch. There was still time. So I stepped back and allowed Aubrey to precede me. Her eyes were light as she passed me, and she took my hand reassuringly. I was surprised. I thought she was embarrassed by me. And I hadn't been very nice a moment ago.

            His office was small. A desk, a few chairs. But we'd got to see the area behind the front desk and it was just a lovely set of counters and offices leading back to a hallway, with darker recesses leading to the right and the left. Another chandelier.

            I glanced at Aubrey who was smiling serenely. If she could be serene then so could I.

******