twenty-four

Quinn Jackson ◊

I walked around the manor, trying to find Luke when I came upon the door to the Underworld. I shook my head as I walked away, hoping to find someone who could at least talk to me and allow me to ask them questions until I was satisfied.

Lyla was down the hall with her peacock once again, and I smiled at her as I approached her. She simply set her book down and looked up at me, a gracious smile on her face as she stood to her feet and welcomed me in an embrace.

"Ah, Quinn. You are radiating positivity today." She said, and I thanked her before clearing my throat and pulling away.

"Where is Luke?" I asked, and her smile fell a little as she shrugged her shoulders.

"I am sorry Quinn, but he is down in the Underworld right now. The souls are growing restless and it is not best to go down there, especially not a mortal." She said, and I thanked her as I walked away, frowning as I was no longer in her sight.

I wanted answers, and so far no one has told me anything besides the few things Luke has told me. I knew there was only one person who knew exactly what was going on, and I frowned as she was in the Underworld.

I grabbed a cloak and put it on over myself, knowing that it would keep me hidden from those souls in the Underworld, and would allow me to keep a cover. I quickly walked back to the door, before throwing it open and going down.

The walk still felt as if it were through a cavern instead of a manor, but I paid no mind as I walked down, and went left instead of right at the usual place. Luke's throne was to the right, and I remember him saying at one moment that the place I needed to go was closest to him.

I kept my breathing calm as I walked through, souls passing by me and I was able to remain unnoticed as I walked. Some souls were very close to me, and I shivered as they passed by, but continued walking at my pace, going quickly.

I remembered what Luke had told me before, just to stay quiet and keep walking no matter what happens. If a mortal were to come into contact with a soul, something bad would happen, though he would not tell me what.

Finally I arrived at the place based off of Michael's description, and took a deep breath before knocking and the door opened to reveal someone I never thought I would be visiting, let alone asking for their help.

"Ah, baby sister. So you finally know the truth, huh?" Persephone asked, and I rolled my eyes as I stood across from her, realizing now how we actually do look related. She had much more of an elegance to her, and she was much more beautiful than I was.

"I do," I said, and she smiled as she looked at me. She offered for me to come in, and sat down at her table in the middle of the room. I followed her actions, and cleared my throat as I pushed my hood down, a frown etched onto my face at the smirk on her own.

"Come now, there is no need to be harsh. I don't understand why you even are in the first place. The only reason you're even alive is because of me, so you should be a little more thankful." She said, and I took a deep breath as I calmed myself.

"I always thought they were kidding when they talked about you. Aren't you being a little self obsessed?" I countered, and she sucked in a breath as she drummed her fingers along the table and glared at me.

"Look, people fall out of love Q," She said, and I pursed my lips at the nickname but let her keep talking, "We were two people who didn't love each other anymore,"

"No, Luke loved you for a long time after that. I don't think he could have ever gotten over you. You left him with nothing, but that wasn't all you wanted, was it? You took his heart with you too. Did you ever even apologize?" I asked, and she frowned as she looked down at her hands.