fourteen

Quinn Jackson ◊

I knocked on the door to Luke's room at exactly ten, and smiled to myself as I heard Luke's footsteps echo as he came closer.

"I wonder who it could be." He said, and I laughed as he opened the door and looked at me with an expectant smile on his face, "Welcome."

He kissed me gently on the lips before kissing me again on my forehead. I smiled up at him, and he gave me a tight hug as we stood there for a bit.

"Come." He said, intertwining our hands and tugged me over to the door that led out to his patio, and I smiled as we stood together. He unwrapped our hands, only to place his hand on my waist.

"Quinn, look up." He whispered, and I frowned as I looked up at the ceiling but saw nothing and he chuckled as he tightened his arm around my waist.

"Outside Quinn," He said, and I giggled as I shook my head and looked out the massive window, looking into the night sky and felt content as I saw the stars shining in full glory.

"I think that is one of my favorite qualities from Nyx. She created the night sky and I'm absolutely amazed by what she does." He said, admiring the stars and I nodded in agreement.

"Nyx, she was the goddess of the night?" I asked, and Luke confirmed my question with a nod.

"Did you know she adds stars and changes constellations all the time? When I first met Persephone," He started but noticed me shifting slightly and frowned, "I'm sorry."

"No, don't be. She was a major part of your life and I need to understand that." I said, pulling away and he frowned as he looked at me.

"No, Quinn. Please do not pull away." He murmured, and I sighed as I shook my head.

"You remind me of Persephone." He said, and I crossed my arms over my chest as I looked up into his eyes. He gently held my hand within his own, before he squeezed my arm gently.

"She was so beautiful but she did not act as if she was. She was incredibly smart and kind in everything she did." He said, and I sucked in a breath as I saw the look in his eyes as I realized he still loved her.

There was a knock at the door, and Arnold walked in with a disapproving look on his face.

"Luke, you need to come with me. Quinn, you can come too." He said, and I frowned as we left Luke's bedroom and followed Arnold down the hall and into the dining hall.

In there was standing some people from the council, mainly the older ones and more powerful ones such as Lyla, Zach, Ryder and Alexandra. They all were in a circle with one other person standing in the middle.

"Persephone," Luke breathed out, his hand going limp in mine and I frowned as I looked at her. She was absolutely gorgeous, in ways words could not even describe.

She had long brown hair that was curled down her back, with green eyes that were piercing and I suddenly felt very self conscious as I was wearing just black pants with a simple t-shirt and she was dressed in a ball gown.

"Luke." She spoke, nodding her head at him softly and he completely let go of my hand as he walked towards her.

"What are you doing here? You asked to never come back and I allowed that." He said, anger in his voice but also sadness, "Tell me why now Persephone."

"Because I have a reason to be."

"And that is?" Luke asked, crossing his arms over his chest as he stood there and looked at her.