seventeen

Quinn Jackson ◊

Funerals.

I always despised the idea of them. Many people mourned the passing of their friend, relative or lover but I felt as if funerals should celebrate the person.

Celebrate their accomplishments in life, celebrate how each and every day they made the world just a little bit better, or even just celebrate how much of a difference they made in someones life.

That was exactly what my mother wanted, so when Luke offered to have a funeral service for her, I accepted. Luke provided everything I needed during the few short days I had between the last time I was in the hospital to now.

He provided each and every detail I asked, no matter how small and he provided constant reassurance and comfort to me, something not many were able to do. As of now, I was sitting at the front of the room, staring at the black casket in front of me.

Everyone had insisted on a closed casket, saying that it would protect me. It would allow me to remember my mother the way she was before the sickness took over her life.

There was a beautiful portrait above the casket, showcasing a time when my mother looked as young and as healthy as she was. It was when we were back in the city, a time where she and I were as happy as we could be.

"She was beautiful," Luke murmured, his presence startling me as he sat beside me, and adjusted his pants as he looked at me.

"She was in every sense of the word." I said, and he nodded as he placed his hand over mine, squeezing it gently and I sighed.

"Why is it that she had to pass away?" I asked, a question that I knew Luke did not know the answer to but I asked anyways, "Why is it that Death always takes away?"

"Quinn," He started, and I waved my hand as I shook my head.

"I know, Luke. It's all according to fate." I said, and he nodded with a solemn expression on his face but kissed my cheek softly.

"Once I'm immortal, I can visit her as often as I'd like?" I asked and he nodded once more, remaining quiet as we continued to sit there.

"Okay, I'm ready." I whispered, and he gave me a gentle squeeze once more as helped me stand, and we said goodbye to the casket.

***

"I admire how strong you are, Quinn. I honestly do. You have proven how strong you truly are, and that will make you into a fantastic queen one day." He murmured, linking our hands together as we walked through the grounds.

"This entire time, you have put everyone else ahead of your own needs. Many others would be grieving or wallowing in their pity, but you have proven some on the council wrong."

"Thanks Luke. It doesn't feel like it's already been two weeks if I'm honest." I mumbled, and he nodded as he rubbed the back of my hand with his thumb.

"That is because you have been busying yourself. You have become exceptional at helping me with decisions on souls," He said, and I nodded, "You are working through the pain."

"Quinn, Luke." A voice called from across the garden and I looked to see Arnold standing there with his arms crossed over his chest and I grumbled a bit at the sight of him.

Luke squeezed my hand gently as he pulled me towards him, butterflies in my stomach as whenever Arnold was around, that meant things were not going to go in the way I wanted.

"I need to speak with Quinn," He said, and Luke nodded as he continued with me but Arnold shot him a look as he stopped him, "alone."

Luke nodded, clearly irritated but squeezed my hand tightly once more before releasing and I followed Arnold into the manor, up into one of the rooms.