nineteen

Quinn Jackson ◊

I was tired the next day to say the least. Luke and I had spent most of the night talking, and the rest just enjoying each others presence. It was all innocent; innocent touches, kisses and thoughts throughout the night, and I realized last night just how much I had come to care for Luke.

While it wasn't love, the potential for it to grow was there. Love was like a beautiful orchid, it grew and blossomed when it was being cared for, but when the support was no longer there, it would die.

I absolutely adored sitting in the library during the day though. There were large windows that just allowed the sun to seep in, basking the room in its warm light and glow.

"Quinn," A voice called, and I turned to see who it was but no one was nearby, "My dear mortal. If you fail, I will take over."

The voice was eerie, and it made me feel uncomfortable as it was almost like a whisper but it echoed all throughout the room.

"Luke will soon fade to be nothing, and I will rise to power. My dear, if you quit now, I promise you will have eternal life in the best possible place." I covered my ears in an attempt to shut off the noise but it only seemed to be amplified.

"I will take everything you have ever loved or will ever loved and destroy it all, unless you throw the last tests. Everything that you care about, will be destroyed. I will gain power and I will rise." The voice nearly snarled at me and I squeezed tighter, before I pushed myself away from the table and ran out from the library, nearly running into Lyla as she was walking past.

"Quinn my dear, you look as if you have seen a ghost. Are you alright?" She asked, and I shook my head as I dropped my hands from my head, and took a breath.

"There was a voice I heard in the library," I started, and she furrowed her brows as she pushed the door open slightly but there was only silence.

"What was it saying?" She asked cautiously, and I licked my lips before looking around once more.

"It was saying it would destroy everything I cared about, and that it would rise to power." I whispered, and her eyes grew wide before she was grabbing my wrist and pulling me towards the door that led to the Underworld.

"You should tell Luke, and you will be safer with him. I will alert the council," She said, opening the door for me and squeezing my shoulder lightly before she disappeared. I walked quickly, stumbling a couple times before finally coming to see Luke sitting on his throne, power radiating from him.

"Quinn, my dear, what are you doing here?" He asked, stepping down from his seat and walking to me, "Is everything alright?"

I shook my head, and quickly explained to Luke what had just happened in the library, and how Lyla was going to assemble the council to discuss what had happened. He clenched his fists once I had finished talking, anger becoming the dominant feature on his usually peaceful face.

"Are you okay?" He asked, the anger leaving him already as he took hold of my hand and squeezed it gently. I nodded, and he sighed as he wrapped his arms around me and held me tightly, "Everything will be fine."

"I believe you," I whispered, and he nodded before taking us to where the rest of the council was. They all had looks that expressed their nerves, and I was confused as to what was really going on.

Arnold was the one who spoke first, who seemed to already know what was happening, "Kronos is rising."

Little gasps left lips, and many glanced along one another. I tried to remember who Kronos was, and the significance that he had.