CHAPTER 10

CHAPTER 10

“Shares of stocks of Sebastian Holdings, Inc. nosedived following reports that the Chairman of the holding firm of Sebastian Group of Companies has been in hiatus for months now. Holders and traders of shares of the Company beelined for the exit as rumors of possible shift in management circulated the business community.”

“In an interview, an unnamed financial analyst aired the stock traders’ concern that a management shift might turn their shareholdings at a loss, considering that the company’s performance is influenced heavily by the confidence in Sebastian leadership.”

“It can be recalled that the Company’s performance teetered in 2008 when the late Bernardo Sebastian were hospitalized and later died. Emerald Sebastian, the group’s current chairman and SHI’s single major stockholder, caused the Company’s amazing recovery in the stock market by issuing fresh IPOs amid skepticisms.”

“Considered a prodigy within the business community, Sebastian remained elusive to the media and even to fellow business figures. Stock price dropped 20% since opening today, even though the CEO reassured that the group’s operation remains stable and that the chairwoman is keeping in touch despite physical absence..”

Tiningnan ko si Rodney. Malinaw ang pag-aalalang nakalarawan sa mukha nya habang pinakikinggan ang anchor ng Bloomberg Asia.

He reached for his phone.

“Ney..” inabot ko ang kanyang kamay. Napatingin siya sa akin. “May shares ka ba dyan?”

Tumango siya, ngumiti ako. “Stock sale. It’s time to buy!”

He looked at me incredulously.

“What are you saying? Hindi mo ba narinig, bumagsak na yung presyo ng stocks.”

“I know.” I grinned widely. “At anong ginagawa pag bagsak presyo? Di ba, namimili?”

He hesitated. “I’m not sure if that’s the right decision. I have to hear what my financial adviser has to say.” Muli niyang iniangat ang phone. Pinigilan ko sya.

“Hold on a while longer. I assure you, when the dust settles, the SHI shares will be in an upswing again.”

“May point sya,” sabat ni Lola. “You don’t just join the mad rush. You should know that already.”

“But then, it’s your decision,” dagdag ko.

Nag-dial si Rodney upang tawagan ang financial manager nya.

“Did you see the SHI stocks? Good. I want you to sell the other non-performing shares in my portfolio. Free up atleast twenty million and use that to buy SHI stocks. Yes, we’ll hold onto it for a while.”

Nakangiti nya akong binalingan matapos nyang ibaba ang telepono.

“Well..?”

“Well.. I decided to gamble.”
“That’s basically what stock trading is all about, afterall.”

“If this goes well, I’ll treat you wherever you like.”

“Hmm.. Kahit sa Maldives?” tukoy ko sa isang magandang isla.

“Kahit sa Maldives.”

“Deal.”

Nag-apir kami.

Naiiling na lang natinawanan kami ni Lola.

-

Hapon. Muling dumating si Shelley. And this time, gising na gising si Lola.