(editing)Sold to Be His

Editing July 2019
***

I am Athena. I am 21 years old and I have been sold to a man I don't know.

I am scared. I am angry with my family. I am confused.

I am already an adult, who is responsible for herself yet I am here. I am walking down the aisle with my father on my side.

I see him. The man I am going to marry. There is no evil in his eyes. Lust, of course, is in them, but no evil.

My father, Polo Marrison, decided to sell me. My soul, my body, my virginity, my life all because of money. I don't have another choice. I can't let her down.

"Athena," Dad whispers. I break my thought and look at him. "Remember your mother."

I sigh. I turn my eyes to him. My soon-to-be husband smiles and takes my hand from my father's. I feel how rough his hands are.

"We are here today to celebrate this union of two great souls," the minister starts the ceremony. I have a veil so I can't clearly his face but I see from the corner of my eye a smirk on his face.

"Will you, Shawn Trevor, marry Athena Marrison for the good or bad, sick or health, rich or poor, and life or death?"

So that's his name, Shawn.

"I do," a husky deep voice says.

"Will you Athena-"

"Yes," I say.

"Okay, heh, well now for the rings."

Dad comes in between us and offers the rings. Shawn says his vows, which are the usual "I will always be there for you, love you blah blah". I see a beautiful golden band with my name on it. I then put his ring and say the vows my father wrote for me. I was force to remember them.

"Okay, well, I can now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss your bride Shawn."

Shawn takes away the veil from my face. A brown eye, tan skin, dark hair, tall, muscled man smiles at me. He cups my face and kisses me lightly.

Suddenly the crowd becomes alive. They cheer and clap. I look around and see the reception filled with faces that are strange to me. All dressed up with fancy suits and diamonds. I didn't even bother to notice them before. This isn't my ideal wedding after all.

"You are my wife now," he whispers.

He takes my hand and we walk out the aisle. We go to a lonely room with no decorations.

I hug myself and turn to Shawn. I see more of him. He looks mature yet young. He is about 5'10 tall. He has some facial hair but not too much. He fixes his black tuxedo and smiles.

"Hi," he says.

"Hi," I say.

"You are very pretty and younger than I anticipated," he says.

"I'm 21."

"you don't look like 21 more like 18," he chuckles.

I roll my eyes. People always have told me that. I don't look my age at all. I am 5'4 tall, have medium straight brown hair, slim with small breasts and curvy hips, and my skin is pearled. Not white not pale.

"I don't find it funny,"

Shawn frowns, "You got to lighten up Athena."

Really? I need to lighten up after I was sold to a complete stranger?!

"You are such a jerk," I say.

"Why?"

"Because you bought me, you took advantage of-"