20) January 1: Troll On Acid

Start from the beginning

            “Nice to meet you,” I said.

            “You, too,” Milly smiled shyly.  If I’m being one hundred percent honest with myself, it should be said that Milly is far prettier than me.  I wish I could say she looked like a troll on acid but that’s not the case.  And the fact that she seemed so timid and humble only made her prettier.

            Damn her.  Damn Milly right to hell.

            “Dee and Bee,” Dee said.  “It’s like we were made to be friends.”

            Right…

            I forced out a laugh and she smiled at me.

            “Niall has told us so much about you,” Milly cut in. 

            “All bad I hope,” I teased and winked at Niall.  He made a face at me and we laughed.

            “I was about to go get more drinks for the ladies,” Niall told me.  “What can I get you?”

            “Oh, I’m not drinking,” I shrugged.  “Just gone done being sick and I don’t want to overdue it.”

            “That’s for the best,” Niall agreed.  “Want water or something?”

            “Sure,” I smiled. 

            “I’ll be right back,” he said.

            Once he was gone, I turned back to the awkwardness that is my life.  Milly, Dee, and Harry were all looking at me.  I was debating whether or not I should make up an excuse to leave when Dee spoke.

            “I like your dress,” she said.

            “Thank you,” I said.  “My friend Karen lent it to me.”

            “Have we met Karen?” Dee asked Harry.

            “Not yet,” Harry said.  “You’ll know when you’ve met Karen.”

            I snorted because that seemed a fair thing to say.

            “So,” I said, not sure if I should ask the next question, but wanting an answer regardless.  “How do you know Harry?”

            Milly looked over at Harry, waiting for him to reply for her. 

            “Her brother knows Gemma,” he told me.  “I would run into her sometimes when Gemma and Robert would hang out.”

            “Oh, so you’ve known each other for a long time,” I noted.  I couldn’t decide if that made more or less sense in this mystery of their relationship.

            “Yeah,” Milly smiled.

            I couldn’t get over how pretty she was when she smiled.

            “So what is Robert up to now?” I asked.  I didn’t really care but I felt obligated to keep the conversation going to avoid awkward silences. 

            “He’s in the Royal Navy,” she said which genuinely interested me.

            “Really?” I said.  “What does he do?”

            “He’s out to sea right now,” she said.  “He’s been gone for a long time.”

            “When was the last time you saw him?”