Chapter 44- Clarissa, Jess, and a Prom Dress

Chapter 44

  People lose friends all the time. When one friend moves away, or they all go into high school and branch off into different groups. That's at least two examples of my experiences with friends. I still had Penelope when I lost all my other friends when I went into high school. But I didn't have her when I went into another high school. But there's another example we all know I'm avoiding.

Jace left the group.

  That's all I have to say about that. But his little partner in crime is standing in front of me right now, so I should probably stop thinking too much and just ask her why I'm even ditching my friends at lunch to talk to her. And they all just think I was called down to the office to speak with the principal.

"I'm sure you are very confused as to why I asked to talk to you." Clarissa readjusts her handle on her heavy designer handbag as she looks at me.

"And I'm even more confused as to why I even came." I give her a flat stare as we stand in the hallway. "If you're just going to stare at me the whole time I think I'm going to go back to my friends and perfect boyfriend."

  I would laugh at her or walk away after the harsh insult I send her, but I stay, noticing the expression of hurt increase in her eyes and her whole face.

She deserves this Jess, My conscious defends.

"I guess that was well earned." She looks down at her feet and away from me.

"Can you please just get to the point?" I slightly clench my fist, hiding it behind my leg.

"The point is we really needed to talk. And this isn't really talking, more like you giving me insults and jabs and me not getting to the point." Clarissa stares back up at me.

"No duh." I sarcastically say.

"Okay fine. The point is that in about a month all of us are going to be leaving this hell hole....." She pauses and looks at me. "Or staying near this hell hole. But the point is we are leaving, moving on with our lives. And I can't really move on with my life if I keep on getting insulted by the girl who is in love with the guy I used to love."

I watch her, completely taken back. "I think that's the most words you ever said to me that didn't completely offend me."

Surprisingly, Clarissa doesn't snap back, instead she smiles and rolls her eyes. "You know Jess, I'm not totally evil."

"But you still are evil," I point out. "Because if you weren't I would've thought you wanted to talk to me to apologize. Not try to get me to stop hating you."

"I'm not really that evil Pizza Girl." Clarissa states, using the horrible nickname she once gave me. But this time it doesn't seem nasty, just annoying. Like a joke. "I was crazy. My whole family might be rich, but they still wanted money. So you'll never believe what I tried to do."

I wait a few seconds before motioning to her to continue. She should know that I don't really know her that well. As it seems I might be wrong thinking I knew exactly who she was.

"I tried talking to Spencer. A lot. My parents thought that if we were friends or dating that then the Golds would like to partner with the Simmons." She sighs. "And after all of a few days I fell for him. After only talking to him for maybe thirty seconds at a time. I fell in love with Spencer. And then I made a plan with Jace. Which you already know about."

"I knew about what you and Jace wanted to do, but I didn't know about the very beginning. None of us did, even Spencer..." I pause, trying to find the right words. "And I'm not saying I certainly understand that it's not your fault. Because it sort of is. You fell in love with him. And you being unbelievably jealous decided to try and ruin my life. And I didn't even like Spencer then, and for the longest time. It was unfair."