Daddy Daughter Dance // j.j

Chelsea, my 6 year old daughter, looks up at me with a hesitant look, her hand getting sweaty with nerves between mine. I nod in encouragement and whisper "go", to her.

She takes a deep breath before letting go of my hand and walking over to my fiancé, Jack. I peer round the corner of the door when I hear his voice. I'm nervous for my baby, even though I probably know the outcome.

Jack looks up from his phone, "Hey, Chels, what's up?" He pats the space next to him on the sofa. "Sit next to me, babe."

Chelsea lifts herself onto the black couch, nervously looking over her shoulder at me. I give her a thumbs up and a big smile. "I have a question for you."

"You do?" He asks and places his phone on the coffee table, giving my daughter his full attention. God, I seriously love these two, so so much. Chelsea nods her head. "Go ahead, talk to me."

I can see her twiddling her fingers in her lap, one of her many nervous habits. "You know mummy said about the dance that is happening at my school?"

"The father-daughter dance?"

She nods her head, looking down at her lap. "Yes..."

Jack smiles at her. He's been living here for just over a year now and Chelsea has known him for 3. She never gets nervous around him unless she has something big to ask him, just like she does right now. "What about it, sweetie?" He asks in a soft voice.

"Will you go to the dance with me?"

"As your honorary dad?" Chelsea just nods her head again. She's so cute when she gets all shy, I love it. "Chels, I would be honoured to take you to the dance."

She snaps her head up and stares at him in amazement. "Really?" Her mood instantly perks up when he nods his head with a massive smile, and Chelsea being Chelsea, she leaps from the sofa and onto his lap, her arms slinging around his neck extra tight.

I'm - we're - so lucky to have Jack in our lives. He's damn amazing. He cooks, he cleans, he shops, he takes care of me and my daughter and he has never judged me on my life before I met him.

He treats Chelsea as if she's his own daughter and I couldn't wish for a better father figure for her. Her real dad, Tyler, was around in the beginning back when we were together, but then he just stopped coming every few days and turned up once every few months. And that was only when I sent him a text (or three hundred) telling him that Chelsea wanted to see him then she left him a bunch of answer phone messages that pushed him out of his house and over to his parents, where Chelsea is every other weekend.

Tyler cannot stand Jack. He hates the fact that his daughter has a great male - father - figure in her life, someone who isn't him. He went into a rage when he found out that I was engaged to the new man, he wasn't allowed to see Chelsea for 6 months after his rage and he legally isn't allowed in the village that our family is located.

I refuse to have a conversation with him unless it's about our daughter. He constantly brings up our past relationship and Jack, trying to cause arguments but I refuse to let him get into it.

But that's all in the past now.

Tyler is the past and Jack is the present and the future.

Jack is probably - wait, he's definitely the best thing, over than my daughter, in my life.

He makes me happy, he makes my daughter happy. He makes me laugh, he makes my daughter laugh.

Jack Johnson is the perfect guy.

"I love you, Jackie."

"I love you too, Chels."