Bond // j.s

I carefully rest Rosie down in her crib and walk out of the room as quietly as I can. She's such a light sleeper, even someone down the road closing their car door wakes her up in a fuss. It really doesn't help that not even five minutes into her first nap of the day, four very loud, very obnoxious boys stomp their way into my flat, shouting and laughing at each other and slamming the door shit behind them.

It's no surprise that the baby monitor next to me starts blaring out the 4 month old baby's cries almost instantly.

"I've told you guys so many damn times to walk in silently and close the door quietly! Do any of you ever listen? No!" I hiss in a huff and start back down the hall to her room.

"Sorry!" John shouts after me - as Rosie's father, he should have known better, especially since he was the one who slammed the door shut!

I look over my shoulder with a death glare at my old hook up buddy, "Shut up!" Rosie was a surprise baby. We were both surprised, to say the least.

After spending another 20 minutes calming her down and putting her back to sleep, I slip out of the room extra quietly and go back to the living room. John, Nate, Dillon and Derek had made themselves comfortable on the sofas, each with a plate of my food on their laps and a can of my Fanta each. None of them live here but they act like they do. When they notice me behind them, they turn around and I can instantly tell that they have something to tell me.

I sit down on the fluffy rug in front of them. "Do you think you can keep quiet whilst you're here and she's asleep?" They nod their heads, their mouths too preoccupied with crisp sandwiches to actually tell me yes. "If any of you wake her up, you're getting her back to sleep."

"Is she sleeping okay lately?" John asks after he finishes his mouthful. "I know you said last week she wasn't."

"She's sleeping but only for an hour or two at a time, she'll wake up to any noise in the night. I can't even go to the bathroom without her crying or whining."

Nates face breaks into a small smile, "Aw, she's a mommys girl, how cute."

I shake my head, "No, she's just needy." She'll be a lot more independent when she's older, I can already tell. But for now, she's got me to cater to her every want and need.

Derek stuffs a handful of crisps into his mouth right before he asks, "If she's not a mommys girl, is she a daddy's girl?" He better not do that around Rosie when she's older, she needs good manners.

"Nope, I don't think she even likes John that much to be honest."

Yep, every time tries John cuddles or feed or do anything with Rosie, she squirms away from him. He tries not to act like it effects him but I can tell that he's upset by it. He never really got the chance to bond with her the first week of her life and he always seems to come around when she's asleep. She's never spent a night at his place simply because that's their hangout place, that's where they smoke and I don't want her being in that environment.

"She knows he's her daddy but she prefers me doing everything for her." One day she'll let him.

Maybe.

"Anyway, what did you guys come over here for? Other than to steal my food."

Dillon, being the only one without a mouthful, answers my question. "We were gunna ask if you're coming to Skates party tonight."

"You couldn't have asked me over text or called me?" I live 30 minutes away from any of these guys, and that's without traffic.

"Well, Johnny boy wanted to see his daughter and we all wanted food, so what's the point of us wasting money on food and him wasting gas coming out here by himself. We made it a road trip."