Calm // c.d

///all my imagines are based off of requests that I get from tumblr///

I sit in the hospital bed, completely famished and overly parched, the constant unsettling feeling beating in my stomach. My best friend, Cameron, is sat in the chair beside me, holding my hand the whole way through. He is dying to eat something, but because I can't eat or drink, he's staying strong and cutting himself off from the needed human right.

"Y/N, chill out, your heart is beating so fast."

"It's because I'm scared, idiot."

"You have nothing to be scared about, this is going to help you, you know that." His thumb rubs across the length of my knuckles slowly, attempting to calm me down and soothe my heart rate. "You've been through this exact same process before, you'll be one hundred percent perfect."

I'm having my first of two surgeries today for a hernia in my bladder. I have a double hernia, so I have two rips in the tissue of my bladder. I was born with it and I had the same operations when I was 3 and 5 years old to fix them. It's something that never happens again, in that area, anyway, but I ended up overworking myself and somehow splitting my bladder. The new rips aren't in the same place, they're a little further up, but damn do they hurt!

"I know, but I was so little then and I didn't even know what a hernia was!" It's true. I didn't know why I was having to go to the hospital so much when I was younger, it wasn't until I was about 7 or 8 when I learnt about what was actually wrong with me. "I just... I'm scared that it could go wrong and I'll be in even more pain than I'm in now."

"Hey, hey, listen to me, nothing is going to go wrong."

"Cam, you don't know that."

"Y/N, I do know that. These surgeons have been trained to do this, they know exactly what they're doing. They could probably do this blindfolded!" My heart rate sped up and a panicked look appeared on Cam's face. "No! No, no, don't listen to that last bit, they're not going to do that, I promise you." His hand slaps over his forehead as he mumbles stupid little curses at himself.

"You're such a loser, Cam." I smile, gripping onto his hand even tighter than it was before. "I'm really thankful to have a best friend like you."

There's a shiny glint in his eyes that makes my head spin. We go into a comfortable silence for a few minutes, just staring at each other until we found something else to say. "Remember our deal when we were kids?"

I tilt my head on my pillow, a sudden head rush coming to me but I try my hardest to push it aside. "We had a lot of deals, Cam, plus I'm getting pretty drugged up so you'll have to remind me."

"We made a deal that if we're still single by the time we're thirty three, we'll get married and have four kids. Do you remember?"

Does every child make that deal with their best friend when they're kids? I think it's the only deal, promise, whatever it is, that I've made with Cameron that I purposely remembered, just in case my love life doesn't work out.

"Of course I remember." I close my eyes with a content smile on my face, Cam's hand squeezing mine. "I even remember some of the names we came up with."

"Remind me again."

"Well, our boys names were going to be Calvin, Louie, Robert and Austin, now that I think of it, those names just do not tickle my fancy."

"'Tickle your fancy'?" Cam laughs, and I can just see his entire face scrunching up with joy and glee, even with my eyes closed. "How high are you right now?"

"Very." I giggle. "Our girls were going to be called Vera, Chloe, Stephanie - but spelt with an F instead of the P and the H, and Milan."

"Milan Dallas, really?"

My cousin had just come back from her honeymoon to Italy and she was telling me all about how beautiful Milan was and how romantic it was. I thought it was such a pretty name, so I decided that it would be my daughters name.

Honestly, my future kids are going to hate me.

I raise a finger and point it at him. "Who said they are getting your surname, mister?"

"Well, don't the kids always get the dads surname?"

Has he not watched any recent TV shows? Uh, hello! All of the men are marrying their ladies and ditching their own surnames! Now that's what I call a real man.

"No, because you're going to take my surname." I point it out as if it's the most obvious thing anyone has ever said and that he is completely clueless.

Cam laughs to himself, keeping a stern hold on my hand, yet keeping it so soft and loving. "Why, exactly?"

"Because I am a Feminist and I believe in girl power!"

I have never said that before. Ever. Why the hell did I just say that? I can only imagine the amount of teasing he's going to put me through after this surgery.

Wow. I completely forgot that in just a few minutes, well, any second now, really, I'm going to be going into surgery. Just two minute ago I was freaking out about it, but somehow Cameron managed to make me forget about it completely.

"Cam, you're such... You're such a good friend. Thank you for everything you've done for me."

"Why are you thanking me?" His voice drops a level to a smoother, quieter pitch to match the drop of the mood in the room. "You're my best friend, Y/N, even if you piss me off to the point where there's fumes leaving my ears I will always be there for you."

"Oh, Cammy..." I choke, unable to open my eyes due to the heaviness of them. "I love you so much, you know that? Like, I know that if I went out and got drunk, and had sex with, with a random bloke, and I got pregnant, you would be there for me."

"I don't know why you're thinking about getting pregnant with a random mans baby, but of course I'd be there for you. I've been there through thick and thin, just like you've been there for me."

Am I seriously that high right now? I've been so drugged up that I've completely forgotten that I'm about to have a small incision cut on my begins and I'm talking about getting knocked up?

Am I okay? Is my subconscious alive?

"Like, Cammy, you would step up and help me so much, like you, you would become the baby's dad."

"Are you tired, Y/N?"

I nod shortly, a small yawn escaping my lips at the mention of sleep. "So tired."

"Then sleep, baby girl, stop fighting it."

"But they always say not to go towards the light..." I half heartedly whine, crumbling my crusting lips into a dry pout. "I don't want to leave you, I love you too much."

Cameron laughs softly at me, squeezing my clammy hand in his warm one. "This time, it's okay, you can go towards it. I'll be right here when you wake up, don't you worry pretty hair on your head."

I take a few moments before sighing and nodding. I feel Cam pressing his lips against my forehead, leaving them to linger lovingly until it was clear that I was completely unconscious.