Our Minnie Miracle, p.2 // k.h

"Mum!" Malachi shouts from downstairs. "Where's Minnie's inhaler?"

"In her bag!"

Minnie is now 3 and she's a lot better than she was when she was born. She had lack of oxygen in her brain after she was born, also known as hypoxia, and she developed Dystonia. Dystonia is a neurological disorder caused by miscommunication between the brain and the nerves. It affects her muscles and movement because it causes writhing, slow and involuntary movements. There is currently no cure to treat her dystonia but she's seeing a physicians and therapists to help her try to control portions of it.

She was rushed into the ICU just seconds after her birth due to the lack of oxygen in her body, she wasn't breathing properly which wasn't helping her so she was attached to wires and breathing tubes for months on end. Minnie has severe asthma and she has since the very first day of her life. She's gone through so many inhalers and so many asthma attacks that she knows exactly what to do when she can't breathe and how to control it – and she's only 3 years old.

Along with her dystonia and asthma, Minnie has recently been diagnosed with ME, also known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. She was in pain when she walked just for a few minutes but then we noticed that even a short 2 minute walk tired the life out of her and no matter how much she rested and slept, she was still be so tired and fatigued that she just did not have the energy to do anything at all. Not even talking or reading her favourite books with me. We got her checked out and now she's on a set schedule for everything.

She was so looking forward to going to preschool and meeting new friends and playing dress up every day, but because of how severe of her ME, she isn't able to go to preschool properly. She can only go 2 days a week for an hour and a half each day. She can't go 20 minutes without having to use her inhaler so being home really makes it easier for me to make sure that she's okay. Even though she's only gone for an hour and a half, I get so worried that she's going to have an asthma attack or something similar.

"Mum, it's not in the bag!"

Malachi has been helping look after his sister ever since she was born, and he was the one who suggested that we keep extra inhalers all over the house in various different locations. He's such a good big brother.

"Get the one out of the kitchen drawer! Or out of the bathroom mirror cabinet!"

Kenny laughs lightly from the bed and rests his arms behind his head. "He says that every time, yet he's the one who put all the inhalers out."

"You know what Kai's like," I shake my head and look at him through the vanity mirror. "I thought I was forgetful, but he takes it to a whole over level." He looks at me with a bright and light smile on his lips. "What?" I ask.

His smile widens as he looks at me, "You look so cute right now." I turn around on the stool and stare at him.

"I've got no makeup on, I've got spots-galore and I'm wearing a shirt with ketchup and God knows what stains on it. I do not look cute right now."

"Yeah, you're right." He winks. "You look damn right gorgeous. Especially with your hair up in that messy bun, the spots covering your chin and your cute lil' belly."

"Lil'? There," I stand up, turn sideways and point at the massive size of my stomach. It's growing like nobody's business. "Is nothing 'lil' about this!"

"Okay, maybe your belly isn't so lil' anymore, but it's still fucking cute."

I slump my shoulders and walk around the bed to lay down next to him. This baby is really straining me out. "It's a massive lump."

"Babe, it's not a lump, it's a bump."

"Yeah, but it feels like a massive lump to me, and my back, and my legs, and my energy..."