Chapter 24- The Truth

------------------------------

Lily smiles a sympathetic smile to me as she points to words in a picture book of the Ugly Duckling.

"Follow my finger," she told me. "There once was an ugly duckling with feathers all stubby and brown. And the other birds said in so many words, get out of town, get out, get out, get out of town."

I grab her finger running along the page, stopping her from reading to me.

"I can read, Lily," I say in my little girl voice, looking at the words lining the page in only a little confusion as they appeared blobs on the page. "I've got it now."

"Read to me then," she spoke, taking my chubby finger and placing it on the page instead of hers.

"And he went with a waddle and a quack. In a flurry of eiderdown, that poor little ugly duckling went wandering far and near. But at every place they said to his face, now get out, get out, get out of here-"

"I've done it. I've taught you how to read, little sis," Lily interrupts my reading-

Jolting awake from my daze, I remember that I was in the chamber all cold and moist.

Jumping to my feet, I look out the slit of the door to see the sun setting, pinks and oranges covering the sky.

Thea and Ozzy were sharing their night together right now in a nice warm cozy room while dirt covered my face from laying on the floor and grit in my teeth when I clenched my teeth.

Knowing nobody was going to come until morning, I lay back on the floor, not daring myself to even lay a finger on that old stone bench for my own safety and to not loose the only food in my stomach.

It smelled even worse over there then it did by the door or in the center of the room.

Closing my eyes as that was the only thing to do, I decide to relive more memories-

The door opening makes me jump up in surprise and alertness, a guard with the same metal armor standing before me.

Well, guess I was wrong about nobody coming until morning...

"Estelle, you're coming with me," he orders through his helmet, the voice not being the familiar guard's from earlier.

Not arguing with his words, I walk towards him and fresh air, taking in deep breaths of it as he gripped onto my arm.

Looking to him once I get my lungs cleared out, I draw my brows together in confusion.

"Where are you taking me?" I wonder.

He doesn't answer, instead he lifts me over his shoulder and starts walking towards the second gate that lead right to Alpha's Headquarters.

Sighing, I see him carry me all the way to the main doors and open them to reveal the same decor inside which was many red carpet runners and chandeliers.

At this point, I'd rather be laying in that chamber with no worries of a guard carrying me to the unknown.

Going down a long corridor, we finally reach Alpha's resting room where he was lounging in a chair in front of a crackling fireplace.