Chapter 25

I wake up to the sound of a gunshot. As I jump out of bed I think of Charles and Laurens. It had to be one of them. I had wished they would have sent in their seconds to talk it out but apparently not.

I feel Laf wrap his arms around me from behind. "Do you want me to check what happened?" He asks me and I shake my head.

I appreciate the offer but I need to see what happened for myself.

After quickly getting ready I head out of the tent with Lafayette beside me. We make our way over to where the duels are usually held.

As we approach I see general Washington looking angry and arguing with someone. Hamilton I think. What happened? Someone had to be injured otherwise Washington wouldn't be getting involved.

I race over and see Hamilton leaving with Washington looking nervous. They were heading inside. I hope everything's alright.

Looking over I see Aaron Burr walking away from Charles who is lying on the ground holding his side, his face twisted in pain.

I run over and sit beside him. "Charles are you alright? Please tell me you're alright." I say trying to hold back tears. He looks up at me and his eyes widen in surprise. Guess he didn't expect to see me.

"Y/N what are you doing here? I told you to go home." "Not now Charles" I mutter half under my breath. After a moment of silence Aaron Burr comes running over with a medic.

The doctor examines him and cleans the wound and stitches it up. "You'll be heading home tomorrow I believe?" The doctor asks him and Charles nods his head. "Y/N you're coming with me." He says matter of factly.

"No way in hell" I tell him and turn away. He's going to be okay and I'm glad don't get me wrong, but I'm still angry at him.

"Y/N! Get back here!" He shouts after me but I keep walking. I have to find Laurens and make sure he's alright.

I start to head back to the tent with Laf walking slightly behind me. He hasn't said a word since we left. I stop walking and turn to face him.

"Are you okay?" I ask him and he shrugs. "Oui I am alright why do you ask?" He says slightly confused. "You seem a bit...distant. That's all." I say looking down at the ground.

He walks over to be and puts his hand under my chin and raises my head so I'm looking at him. "I just...this place...I want to have a life with you and I feel like here...we aren't having a proper relationship..." He sighs and pauses for a moment before continuing.

"I love you Y/N and I want you to have a better life than the one we have now. You deserve more than a war zone..." Now he's the one looking down.

"Laf..." I begin. "I don't care where I am as long as I'm with you. And yeah...this place isn't the most romantic place in the world but it isn't permanent. I like to think that when we're fighting, we're fighting to start a new life where we're free..."

He looks up at me and smiles. "Oui...I like that."

We head back the rest of the way holding hands and talking about random things that pop into our heads. I think that this moment can't be ruined as we reach the tent and head in.

Laurens is sitting on one of the beds looking panicked and upset. I walk over and sit beside him, wrapping my arm around around his shoulders as he starts to talk. "Hamilton..." He starts but his words get caught.

"Laurens! What's going, on where is he?" I ask urgently. Something's wrong. Something's very wrong.

"Hamilton. He's gone. Washington sent him home."