Ch 46 Fall out

“Who bit you?” Carson exclaims pulling my arm out in front of me. The puncture wounds from Ash’s teeth were still visible, even under the dried blood and dirt.

“Ash” I don’t look at him even as I nod in his direction. When we’d gotten home he’d refused to shift back and instead paced across the lounge room growling menacingly. He’d eventually shifted back, just as Carson was finishing patching Christian up. Ash was still naked through and still rejects clothes as he watches Carson bandaging my arm.

“Why the hell did you bite her!?” Carson snaps, eyes containing live fire threatening to burn anyone who came to close.

Ash says nothing but glowers back at her.

“Carson” I say softly and motion to my arm which she resumes wrapping while muttering to herself. I’d expected to find her weeping over Bray when I returned, but instead she was bustling around the kitchen, the smell of Chicken soup, disinfectant, even air freshener filling the house and the vacuum was on overdrive as Carson cleaned. It looked like she was trying to keep busy so she didn’t think about Bray, but I could tell it wasn’t working since her eyes were slightly red rimmed.

“I thought you three had been killed” Carson shakes her head and pulls the bandage tight around my arm. “Don’t you ever do that to me again”

“Sorry” I apologise while Ash stays mute.

Silence settles over the room, bordering on the edge of deafening. I half expected everyone to make their way out of the room to find somewhere by themselves to let what happened sink in, so they could grieve our losses. But no one moves.

Eventually Mikki clears her throat and shifts in her seat. “Who’s the new Alpha?” she asks softly.

“Carson’s still Alpha, even though Bray’s dead” Sky comments easily, no undertone of laughter or teasing, but a sombre answer. “She can stay Alpha by herself or get a new mate to help” he shrugs indifferently.

“Alpha’s are born, Sky, not chosen at random” Ash says sharply. He lowers himself onto the couch beside Mikki, unfazed by Sky’s glare”

“And I suppose you think you’re a born Alpha, am I right” Sky challenges darkly.

The air in the room crackles with electricity, thick and heavy as the tension grows, threatening to smother any civilized conversation anyone planed. Ash opens his mouth to say something but I throw him a glare. “That’s enough guys, no need for a fight”

Carson places my arm into my lap before settling beside me on the floor. “No, we need another Alpha, I can’t do it myself” she says softly and shakes her head.

“But Carson, it won’t be that hard” Mikki interjects and leans forward. “The other pack’s gone, you don’t have to worry about them, only use” She motions around the room, at the wolves watching their female Alpha.

“That’s what I’m talking about” Carson says softly.

I knew what she meant. It hadn’t even been a whole day since Bray was killed and I could feel the rivalry between the guys increasing. Without a male Alpha to keep the others in cheek, the guys were fighting to know who was the most superior. I feared it would to fights, even death if it got out of hand. I also knew that the wolf still standing at the end would force Carson out of the position of Alpha, even if she wanted to stay.

We needed a male Alpha, and preferable without shedding too much blood to find the most dominate.

“Then it falls on me to be Alpha” Sky sits up straighter but Ash growls at him dangerously.