Chapter 40

Chapter 40

Lauren stares out of the window silently. She sighs, thinking about what she can do to slow Brody down. All he has told her until now was that they're heading toward Gold Beach. He says he booked a nice hotel room there so he and Lauren can have a little time together.

The technician almost threw up at the thought.

She looks down when she feels Kyano move against her and sees that he's still asleep. She's in the backseat with her little boy, because he wouldn't let her sit next to Brody. She presses a kiss against his scalp and continues to stroke up and down his little arm gently.

Brody is focused on the road while there's soft music playing from his phone which is being charged at the same time through the car-charger. Lauren carefully checks her own phone, holding it behind the driver's seat so Brody isn't able to see it. She finally has cell service but her battery is almost dead. She knows if she does so much as open a text message to Camila, her phone will switch off. But there's no chance of charging it with Brody being so close to her.

''You still doing okay there, baby?'' Brody asks, looking into the rear-view mirror and making Lauren's eyes shoot up from her phone to connect with his. She gulps before forcing a smile and nodding at him.

''Yeah, I'm fine.'' She answers softly, not wanting to wake Kyano up.

''You said you were tired. Why don't you sleep?'' he asks her, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion and suspicion which makes Lauren's heart speed up.

''Uhm, I can't really relax enough. I think I still have too much adrenaline in my body from seeing you both again.'' She answers convincingly but Brody frowns again.

''No, you are always able to sleep.'' He disagrees while shaking his head in confusion. ''You can always sleep, no matter where you are.''

Lauren frowns now too. He seems to be getting lost in his own thoughts, the picture of Lauren he has in his mind not matching with Lauren's real reaction. It scares her that he's getting frustrated with her answer because it means she has to be even more careful in choosing her words.

''You're right, honey. Normally I can always sleep. But... but this is uhm, kind of a different situation. I haven't seen him an over a month so now I feel like I have to be awake every second that I'm with him.'' She answers honestly, looking at the astronaut with fearful eyes.

Brody frowns for a moment longer before nodding in acceptance and Lauren blows out a relieved breath.

''Mommy?'' Kyano's voice interrupts them softly.

''Yes, baby?'' Lauren asks immediately, looking down at her little boy's sleepy eyes and brushing his brown hair out of his eyes.

''I need to pee.'' Kyano mutters and Lauren's eyes widen because that is a chance she can't let pass.

''Oh okay, then we'll make a stop sweetie. Can you hold it for a little longer?'' she asks him and Kyano shakes his head while bringing his hands up to rub his eyes.

''Brody?'' Lauren asks, suppressing a smile when he nods.

''There's a gas station coming up, I'll pull over.'' He answers with a lightly irritated tone. Lauren knows he doesn't want to stop and go to their destination as quickly as possible.

''Can you go with him though? Take him to the boy's bathroom?'' Lauren asks casually and Brody frowns again before he answers. Then he only nods and Lauren presses another kiss against Kyano's head to hide her small victory smile.