Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Lauren sighs with a smile when she feels lips press against her cheek gently. She keeps her eyes closed for just a few more moments before she finally opens them and lets them look back at Camila.

''Hey..'' Camila mutters softly with a sleepy smile.

''Hi.'' Lauren whispers back, pressing her forehead against the astronaut's softly.

She sees Camila swallow and feels her lean in to press a soft kiss against her lips. Camila's arms tighten around her body and Lauren snuggles closer into her when their lips part. She lets out a content sigh, the heavenly smell of the brown-eyed girl surrounding her and invading all her senses makes her feel incredibly at peace.

''Did you sleep well?'' Camila whispers, leaning her head back on the pillow but keeping her eyes trained on Lauren's.

''Not really.'' She admits softly, loving the lazy look on the astronaut's face and her messy hair.

''Why?'' Camila asks just before letting out a soft yawn.

''I was too unfocused. I kept thinking about today.'' She answers and Camila's eyes fill with understanding immediately.

''Are you dreading it?'' she asks, her brown eyes moving between Lauren's green ones, trying to find the answers in them.

''Kind of. I mean, I really want to talk to him, but I'm also scared that seeing us might make him sad.'' She whispers and Camila nods understandingly.

''Make him sad... or make you sad?'' she asks after a few moments of silence and Lauren can't help a sad chuckle from leaving her lips. It feels so good that her ex-girlfriend is still able to read between the lines and notice exactly what Lauren is feeling without having to explain it.

''Both.'' Lauren admits and Camila smiles before leaning in to press another kiss against her lips.

''I've got you.'' Camila whispers in her ear before pulling Lauren even more into her own body, letting her head rest in the crook of her neck while Lauren's hand is grabbing the back of her shirt tightly.

Lauren closes her eyes and takes a deep breath, trying to let the feeling of being in Camila's arms like this calm her down. She can't help but smile at how affectionate and sweet her ex is being to her, it reminds her of the glory days of their relationship and it instantly makes her heart flutter.

Today is Wednesday, and that means that the moms get a chance to talk to Kyano. It's been a few days since Lauren and Jesse took off, and Normani is going to bring their son to NASA so they can video-chat with him. Both moms are kind of nervous about it though, because they have no clue how Kyano is doing, and maybe seeing his parents up in space for the first time, will make him realize the situation he's in and it might make him sad.

Lauren takes in a deep breath when she thinks about Kyano being sad and both her and Camila not being there for him to try to comfort him in any way. She presses her nose against Camila's throat and squeezes her eyes shut tightly. She doesn't even want to realize that she'll be away from him for at least three more weeks.

''You're thinking really loudly.'' Camila whispers against her hair softly and Lauren can't hold back the shiver that runs down her spine when she feels Camila's thumb making gentle circles on her back in comfort.

''M'srry.'' Lauren mumbles quietly and Camila hums in response.

''S'kay.'' Camila mutters back while pressing a kiss against Lauren's scalp. ''Just don't worry over nothing. Maybe it won't be so bad.'' She adds, trying to distract Lauren a little bit, but the technician knows she's trying to convince herself just as much as she's trying to convince Lauren.