Chapter 16

Chapter 16

''Alright everybody, that's it. You're free to go, and I'll keep you informed about the next steps.'' Roy says just after announcing he wants to shoot Lauren up into space. ''Lauren, can you please stay for a little bit? Barry, you as well?'' He asks, as if Lauren would have the strength in her legs to stand up after hearing that information.

She faintly nods her head, keeping her frozen gaze at the table in front of her. Her lips are still parted with heavy breaths leaving her mouth while she slowly registers what is about to happen. Her eyes grow wider when all the protests start going off in her mind, all the reasons why she absolutely can't go are repeating themselves loudly and she feels herself coming closer to the edge of a nervous breakdown.

''Alright, Lauren.'' Roy says as soon as everybody is moved out of the conference room, and the technician looks up at him with fearful eyes. ''I want you to leave in about two days. Please prepare yourself for that.'' He shares with her firmly and Lauren starts to shake her head frantically at him while her eyes move to Camila's face, who is still connected to the conference room.

''Roy, please.'' Camila says to her boss, annoyed at his tone and lack of empathy. Lauren swallows while every single alarm bell is going off inside her head, and her hands start to shake uncontrollably.

''What?'' Roy asks Camila, who glares at him through her screen.

''Could you please leave me and Lauren alone for a minute?'' the astronaut asks politely, but as soon as her boss is about to ask her why that would be necessary, Camila glares at him again. Is she really the only one here who notices the state Lauren is in? And who understands that you can't just spray news on a person like this and expect them to be okay with it?

''Alright, Barry?'' Roy asks, slightly intimidated by Camila's glare, even though she literally couldn't be further away from him. Barry follows him into the hallway immediately, patting Lauren's shoulder on his way out in support.

''Lauren?'' Camila calls out as soon as the door closes behind her boss, and her ex looks up at her. Camila frowns, reading all the worries and fear in her eyes immediately, even through a screen.

''Come here.'' She says, and Lauren stands up with shaky legs, gripping the table for support.

She moves to stand right in front of the screen and sits down on the table while her heart's beating is out of control. Slowly, she reaches her hand out to the tv-screen to caress the astronaut's face, and her ex just keeps looking at her.

''Breathe. Calm down, and just breathe.'' Camila says softly, gentleness dripping from her voice, and Lauren inhales deeply immediately.

''That's right, again.'' She says, helping Lauren to get herself calm again. Camila's words help, but the calmness, the reassurance and the safety that poor out of her eyes, is what really calms Lauren down.

''Talk to me.'' Camila says after a few silent moments between them and waiting for Lauren to control her breathing again.

''Kyano.'' Lauren says immediately, knowing Camila wants to talk about this assignment and all the consequences they will have on their lives. Camila nods immediately and looks down for a moment before rubbing her eyes in exhaustion.

''Yeah, that's what I told Roy as well.'' She answers and Lauren shakes her head.

''Camila, I... I can't leave him behind like that. He already has to miss you, we can't take away his other source of stability as well. It would be so irresponsible of us to do that, he's only five!'' Lauren says, her voice clearly carrying her worries and frustrations over the situation, and Camila nods in agreement.