Chapter Thirty

Ian's POV

It was now 7pm, Lucy had woken up from her nap about two and a half hours ago and she had been getting ready since then, but I've been ready since before she woke up.

She still doesn't know where we're going but I told her she didn't need to wear fancy clothes because we weren't going anywhere fancy.

She also doesn't know what my plans for tonight are.

Shay had gotten here about an hour ago and had just finished feeding Dustin, and I had just finished feeding Dahlia.

"Okay, I'm ready now." Lucy called from the bedroom.

I got up off of the couch and handed Dahlia to Shay. Shay instantly started talking to her in a baby voice which Dahlia giggled at.

I practically ran upstairs and into the bedroom to see Lucy.

Lucy was dressed in a burgundy coloured backless skater dress with black heels. She had a natural makeup look and her hair was slightly wavy. She accessorised her look with a pair of diamond earrings that I bought her a while ago and her gold necklace with her name on it.

I walked over to her and placed my hands on her hips, gently pulling her closer to me.

"You look so beautiful." I complimented her.

"Thank you." She replied as she started to blush.

"You're welcome, honey." I said to her as she looked me up and down.

I was wearing a white shirt with the top button undone and the sleeves rolled up to my elbow, dark blue jeans with a black belt and black dress shoes.

"You look very handsome." Lucy said to me after staring for a while.

"Thank you, darling." I replied.

"You're welcome." Lucy responded as she reached over and took my hand.

She and I headed downstairs to where Shay was looking after the twins.

"You two are such a good looking couple, no wonder these babies are so perfect." Shay commented when we went into the living room.

"They are perfect." Lucy and I agreed with Shay.

Lucy and I both kissed the twins heads and told them we loved them before we headed out.

I was going to get a limo to take us to where we're going but I decided that I'd drive us instead because I didn't want Lucy to suspect anything about my plans for tonight.

The drive to the location we were going to was only about twenty minutes because thankfully there wasn't much traffic.

I parked the car and got out before I opened the passengers side door and helped Lucy out.

Lucy interlocked her fingers with mine after I'd locked the car. She rested her head against my arm as she and I walked on to the beach.

We were walking for no more than a few minutes before we reached a picnic blanket covered with rose petals and a picnic basket sat in the middle that Keegan set up for me.

"A picnic on the beach? This is so romantic." Lucy said as she took in the view.

"Well I had some help setting it up but it was all my idea." I said to her honesty.

Lucy and I both sat down and I opened up the picnic basket that was filled with some of her favourite foods, a bottle of her favourite red wine, wine glasses, plates and silverware.

"Ian, this is amazing. Thank you for doing all of this for me." Lucy said as she and I unpacked the basket.

"Like I said, I had help, but it was all my idea." I replied as I popped the cork off the wine.

"I'm still very grateful." She responded as I poured us both a glass.

"Well you deserve this. You deserve so much more than this." I started. "You are such an amazing mother and you're an amazing girlfriend and I am so in love with you."

Lucy smiled at me before leaning over and pressing her lips against mine.

"I'm so in love with you, too." She said quietly, almost in a whisper, as we pulled away from our sweet kiss.

Lucy and I ate our picnic and drank out wine. It didn't take long to finish.

After we had ate, I stood up and put my hands out for Lucy. She took them and I helped her to her feet.

"Where are we going?" She asked me.

"We are going on a walk on the beach." I answered.

"Okay, let me take my shoes off first."

Lucy and I both took off her shoes before she smiled and held my hand tighter as she leaned against my arm once again.

She and I walked slowly across the beach feeling the sand between our toes.

After about ten minutes of walking I looked over and saw that the sun was setting.

I knew this was the perfect time.

I stopped walking and Lucy stopped with me.

"What's wrong?" She asked me.

I smiled and shook my head.

"Nothing's wrong. Everything is perfect." I replied, still smiling.

"Why did you stop walking?"

"Because I have something really important to say and I want to say it before I get too scared to say it." I responded.

Lucy just stared at me, waiting for me to continue with what I was saying so I did.

"You and I, we started off as coworkers. And then we became friends and then I fell completely in love with you." I paused and looked at Lucy.

She was smiling, her eyes were sparkling.

"Since before you and I even started dating you've made me so happy and I feel like I'm a better person when I'm with you." I started. "Not long after you and I started dating we found out that you were pregnant with our twins and we were both terrified but we knew that we would manage and that we would be okay because we had each other. When I picture my future I see you in it. I don't only see you as the mother of my children, I see you as my wife."

I was so nervous. My hands were shaking as I reached into my pocket and took out the little black box.

"I love you Karen Lucille Hale." I said with a soft tone as I got down on one knee.

I made eye contact with Lucy as I opened the lid of the small box, showing her the diamond ring.

"Will you marry me?"