Chapter Nineteen

Lucy's POV

Ian and I were sitting on his couch nervously staring at the envelope on the coffee table in front of us. The envelope that contains the results from the paternity test I took yesterday afternoon at the hospital, the results that will tell us if Ian, the man I love, or Adam, the man who abused me, forced me to do things I didn't want and who made me miscarry my first child, is the father to the babies I'm carrying now. I saw my hands shaking as I leaned over to the coffee table to pick up the envelope.

"Lucy, just so you know, even if they aren't mine, I will still love them, and I will still love you." Ian said in a soothing voice as I was about to open the envelope.

"I really want them to be yours." I replied.

"I know, I do, too."

Ian placed a soft kiss on my lips then I proceeded to open the envelope. I pulled out the letter then carefully opened it and started reading the results out loud.

"The male DNA sample given is a positive mach to the DNA of the fetuses growing within the mother's whom."

I placed the letter back on the coffee table and looked over at Ian. He let a smile take over his face and I did too. I also let out a sigh of relief that I didn't know I was holding.

"You're the father." I said quietly.

"I'm the father?" Ian asked me.

"You're the father!" I said louder with my smile growing wider.

Ian stood up and helped me to my feet then gently grabbed my face and pulled me into a kiss. He then picked me up and started spinning me. I buried my head into the crook of his neck and closed my eyes tightly.

"Ian, stop please. I've already thrown up this morning, and I really don't want it to happen again." I begged whilst laughing.

Ian immediately put me back down and held my shoulders to keep me steady.

"I'm dizzy now." I said smiling.

"I'm sorry, Lucy, I'm just overwhelmed with happiness."

Ian smiled then slowly started walking away.

"Uh, where are you going?" I asked as I started following him.

"Wait there!" he demanded.

I did as Ian asked and sat back down on the couch to wait for Ian to return. About a minute later, Ian paced back into the living room with his hands behind his back. He moved one arm in front of him and handed me a Piaget Jewelry box.

"Open it." he insisted.

I looked at him confused then slowly opened the lid of the box. Inside the box was a beautiful rose pendant. I ran my pointer finger across the diamond rose then carefully took the necklace out of it's box and admired it some more as I put the box on Piaget box on the coffee table.

"Ian, it's beautiful. Thank you." was all I managed to say.

"You're welcome."

"What's the occasion?" I asked him as I was confused as to why he gave me it.

"You seriously don't remember?" he asked me sarcastically.

"Remember what?" I asked seriously.

"Lucy, it's your birthday!" he half-shouted with a smile on his face.

I furrowed my brows at him and used my free hand to take my phone out of my pocket to check the date. June fourteenth.