Chapter 21

I sat in the almost empty waiting room, waiting rather impatiently for the doctor to come out and tell me that my father was getting better. It hurt seeing him so pale and weak.

Come on dad, pull through this. Please.

For once in my life I felt utterly powerless. It wasn't until 2am that the doctor came into the waiting room and called out my last name, I bolted up and stood in front of him.

"How is he? Is he okay?"

The doctor sighed, "I'm sorry, we did everything we could but your father has passed." He hung his head low and I raked a hand through my hair, pulling at it slightly. "I can take you to him to say your last goodbyes." He offered. I nodded and silently followed the doctor to a private room.

He looked so peaceful, as if he was sleeping. This was it. I was alone now, I had no one.

"I'm so sorry, father," I said softly and held his cold hands. "I lied to you, Sakura and I aren't dating, I used her to make you happy, I knew that that was all you wanted for me." I sighed heavily and squeezed his hand a little tighter. "I think I'm in love with her now," I chuckled bitterly, "but she's in love with another man. Like they say; if you love something set it free, right?" Tears sprung to the corners of my eyes and I willed them away, I needed to say goodbye to my father one last time. "I will make you proud dad, somehow, someday you're going to be able to look down at me with a smile."

------------------------------
Sakura's POV

Having woken up in the middle of the night I decided to go out to the balcony to think. I noticed Eisuke's car pull up at about 3am. I couldn't really see much from this height and time of night but I was sure it was his car. I walked off of the balcony and into the penthouse lounge after a few minutes the familiar ding of the elevator sounded and I waited for Eisuke to step out. He looked rough, shattered, broken- he had bags under his eyes and he looked tense.

"Eisuke," I whispered and gently wrapped my arms around him.

"Don't touch me. Go back to that other man, he'll make you happy." He spat and roughly pushed me back. "Get out of my sight, after tonight I don't want to see you ever again." He spat out once more in a voice dripping with lethal venom. Hearing this shattered my heart, I stared into his eyes before he roughly pushed past me and retreated to his room. I collapsed onto my knees. Unable to stand against the weight of the world crushing down on me. With my head hung, my eyes- like waterfalls- flooded with tears.

"Sakura?" I gentle voice called from what seemed to be miles away. I had no energy left not even enough to look up until I felt a pair of arms wrap around me.

"B-baba?" I choked out and tried to wipe my eyes.

"Shh, it's okay." He said gently and cradled my body against his chest.

"He hates me." I sobbed.

"No, he doesn't. He loves you I promise. Just give it some time." He tried to reassure me but it fell upon deaf ears. Eisuke didn't love me, he never did, it was all a charade for his father. And now that his father has passed he didn't  need me.

"H-he knows about Naoki." I said quietly between hiccups.

"I know, I have to say you did a good job with boss, I've never seen him so jealous." Baba chuckled to try to lighten the mood. I squeezed my eyes shut tighter and gripped the fabric of Baba's suit. My exhaustion paired with Baba's comforting embrace soon lulled me into much needed sleep.

------------------------------
Baba's POV

In the morning I gently woke Sakura up to get ready for college. She shook slightly after obviously realizing that she'd need to go to Eisuke's suite for her clothes. With a gentle smile I offered her my arm. I wasn't going to let her be alone. I knocked on the door to his suite, he'd be up by this time but after no response I quietly creaked the door open and lead Sakura in. A look of relief mixed with sadness shone in Sakura's eyes as she spotted two cases filled with her clothes in the middle of the lounge.

I carried the bags back to my room and left her to get ready in peace.

*

Some time later Sakura left my suite with a dull look, it pained me to see such a wonderful bright girl this upset. I smiled and severed her strawberry and vanilla tea with some toast. Not wanting to push her I left her with her breakfast and headed to my room to get ready.

------------------------------
Sakura's POV

I felt numb. The world seemed duller now. I'd never had my heart broken before not like this.

This was what I wanted though, this was promised, to be set free. I guess I was just being foolish for growing attached along the way. But now I could focus on myself, my career, my goals. I still wanted to explore the world and like I'd previously told myself; this would all just be a bad memory that I'll push to the back of my mind. These experiences, the people I've met will make me who I am. I sighed and sipped my sweet tea, a bitter smile forming on my face at the memory of Eisuke comforting me only a few days ago.

I couldn't bring myself to eat, looking at the buttered toast made me feel somewhat sick, I finished my tea and took the dishes into the kitchen. I washed up them up and left them to dry.

After checking the time I decided to get my bags, I'd need to leave earlier today so I can take my bags back to my apartment before school.

"Baba?" I called from the other side of his door. Seconds later he opened it wearing our work uniform.

"Yes pretty lady," he smiled. I said nothing and just wrapped my arms around him, muttering a quiet 'thank you'.

"Say goodbye to everyone for me," I said hopefully. He nodded.

"I'm gonna miss having you around here," he chuckled. I smiled slightly and looked down. It felt weird, I never thought I'd grow so attached to these guys, they were nice.. Albeit in their own quirky ways.