Blood Born - Chapter 39

Start from the beginning

The four men spoke softly to one another before turning to the rest of us. "Even though we would prefer to finish the tests, both we've done thus far indicate that the Princess is indeed with child."

The door connecting my room to Charlotte's burst open. "You're going to have a baby!"

"Oh for heaven's sake, Charlotte!" My mother grasped her chest as Charlotte jumped up and down about the room.

James wrapped me in a large hug and held me close.

I smiled for a moment, only for it to fade away.

I locked eyes with one of the physicians before looking away quickly. "You are not pleased with our answer?"

"I am. Very much. I am excited and nervous. I have just realized that dear Elizabeth will not be here to celebrate with us.

All grew silent, remembering the somber event just a few short weeks beforehand. The time had gone by so fast. I didn't realize that one person could leave such a large, empty space in your life as Elizabeth had done. The wound I had sustained healed shortly after the incident happened. Being immortal seemed to give me remarkable healing abilities.

The baby. What will she be like? Is she going to be a dragon heart? Will she need to bond? What will become of her?

As everyone stood about the room talking happily and making plans for my child, I stood near the window, staring out into the cloudless night. The stars and moon shone brightly over the city. The guards marched up and down streets, lights slowly went out amongst the houses, while a few people walked about the darkened area. Celebrations would begin in just a few short days to announce the pending arrival of a new royal. The night was serene. There was no sense of emergency or peril in the air.

I felt uneasy.

"What's wrong?" A low breath growl asked from far to the right.

"Absolutely nothing apparently."

"You're worried."

"Of course I am Draco. I am with child. The Guild is still alive."

"Perhaps they will leave you alone now."

"Why would they?" I gripped the window sill, tears brimming in my eyes. "They never left my mother alone. She was their fiercest assassin. Now that her daughter is bonded to a dragon and destined to be one herself, and with child, why would they ever leave me alone? My line is growing, not dying."

"All this worry is not good for the child."

"I know. But my child..."

"She shall be fine."

"How do you know?" I asked, glancing over at him.

He snorted a small fireball into the darkness. "I'm a dragon. I know these things."

A smile played on my lips. "Is that how it works? You become a dragon and know all?"

"Become? Sweet girl, I was born a dragon. Hatched and raised on the cliffs like all the rest."

"Most." I reminded him.

"Like most." He shot a small bit of fire at me. "Are you sad you will be the same as me."

I shook my head at him. "I am actually very excited. Sad, but I am excited."

"Why are you sad about it?"

"Because I'll have to die," I muttered.

"Dying isn't so bad."

"It's not the dying part. It's leaving everyone behind. The pain I feel now for Elizabeth's death is excruciating, having to put all those here through that again seems almost cruel."

"All creatures die, Evelyn."

"Not all, Draco."

"You're an exception. A very special exception."

"What will become of my daughter?" I asked.

"She shall grow to become a magnificent queen."

I nodded my head as a tear hit the wood beneath my hands. "Will she die?"

"One day, yes, she will die. As all those in the room, there will die."

"How do I handle the deaths of those I love when it comes time? How did you?"

"Evelyn, there is no one way any being handles the death of those that they hold dear to them. It is a vicious, but necessary part of our life cycles. We are born innocent and ignorant of the cruelties and harshness of the world and grow to either accept them and live life as it is or we grow to fight and change things for the betterment of all. There are those who will sacrifice all to make sure their loved ones live. Even if that means their life will end sooner. But in the end we all end up the same. Dead. Our life cycles are limited and when it is time for us to exit this world, it will be our time. Nobody knows when it is time to go, but it is not something to fear. It is something to embrace. It is something to welcome. It's the newest phase of your life."

"I suppose so."

"All will be well, dear princess."

"I hope so, Draco." Chewing my bottom lip, I looked over at the mighty dragon. "How will I die?"

He shook his scaly head at me. "You know I cannot tell you such things."

"Will it be soon?"

He looked at me, his deep amber eyes still and peaceful. "It will not be before your time is up."

"That does not help me at all, Draco."

"You know I can't give you any more information than that."

"I don't want much."

"Just to know what no person in this world knows."

I shrugged my shoulders and wiped at my eyes.

"Evelyn?"

"Hmm?" I mumbled.

"Are you alright?" My mother asked.

"Fine."

"What are you doing?"

"Go," Draco whispered.

"Nothing. Just, looking outside."

I turned back to everyone. Their cheeks rosy and their eyes twinkling. They were so happy and cheerful, rightfully so. This was a happy time.

"Your father and I are going to participate in the jousting tournament."

I shook my head and sighed heavily.

"What?" James asked.

"I hate jousting. It's so unnecessarily violent."

"This coming from you?"

"I am only violent when I need to be. Not because I want to be. Just be careful. Don't leave me a widow just yet."

James laughed and winked. He thought I was being silly, I wasn't. I was being serious.

Dead serious.