Chapter 24: The Battle Begins

I'm going to try some of the suggestions from the previous chapter. Some different POV's.

This chapters dedication goes to Belle1153 for their comment, "OMG PLLLEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAASSSSSEEEEE UPDATE U BETTER STARTED READING THIS BOOK 9 days ago AND UR BETTER THEN UNCLE TROLL uh no I ment UNCLE RICK !!!!!!!!  PLEASE IM A BEGGIN U PERCABETH FOREVER CAN WE HAVE A REALLY PERCABETHY SCEAN PLEEASE" Thanks Belle1153!

I had fun writting so I hope you enjoy chapter 24 ...

Chapter 24: The Battle Begins - Chiron's POV

Everywhere I looked was chaos.

And I don't mean Chaos chaos, I mean everything-is-completely-crazy chaos.

In the dim light of the raging flames, every growl and ever scream sounded sinister. The atmosphere felt forbidding and gruesome.

Fallen campers lay scattered everywhere. As battlefield medic, I did my best.

I galloped over to a young girl lying face down on the ground and hoisted her onto my back. She didn't look any older than ten. In the firelight, her pale face was coated with red, and her blonde hair streaked with blood.

'Hang on,' I told her. 'Everything will be okay.'

I cantered to the amphitheatre where a small band of about six or seven Apollo kids were already tending to the injured. I lay the girl down on a stretcher and took a look.

I grimaced when I took in the ghastly appearance of her leg; a knife was embedded hilt deep in her thigh. From the looks of it, the knife could've been poisoned, but it was also razor sharp.

'Don't worry,' I said soothingly. 'You will be okay.'

She nodded her small tear streaked face, closed her eyes and lay back.

With a pang of sorrow in my heart, I headed outside to retrieve more of the wounded.

Clanging metal, roaring monsters, and cries from the marred all spun through my head. This wasn't the first war I'd taken part in, but it would definitely be the worst.

My eyes scanned the battlefield and I saw young Commander Epsilon standing over two boys, both of whom were wounded. As I watched, he defended them and prevented them from becoming the dinner of a couple of laistrygorian giants.

I made my way over as fast as my hooves would take me. Even before I reached them, Epsilon had disposed of the giants and was waiting for me to take the boys to the Apollo cabin.

'This can't work forever,' he warned as he helped heave the two boys onto my back. 'It was a brave plan; the best plan. But we need something more.'

'I know,' I said. 'But what else can we do?'

Beneath his helmet, I could see his eyes for the first time. They were the brightest sea green I'd ever seen, filled with determination, strength and sacrifice.

'I may be able to call reinforcements,' he said slowly. 'An old friend. But it may take time.'

'Take the time,' I called as I turned. 'We need all the help we can get.'

He nodded and sprinted off to join the battle. Securing the two boys, I returned to the amphitheatre where the Apollo cabin informed me of new developments.

Nineteen injured campers were in stable conditions, three more were in critical states. I felt hollow when I learned that one of the three was the ten year old girl.