Chapter 7: A Walk Along the Shore

AN: This chapter is dedicated to cbelits for their awesome comment, "This is one of the best stories I have read on wattpad! You are a great author! Update ASAP!!!" Thanks cbelits! I really appreciate all those who can comment on my stories. Even if it's asking for something specific to happen or providing ideas. I really appreciate it. Now enough of my babbling, on to the story!

Chapter 7: A Walk Along the Shore - Annabeth's POV

I stared in shock at Epsilon's lifeless form. Only a second ago he was racing across the battlefield, striking down monsters left, right and center. And then he was leaning over me, just for a second, before collapsing back.

Iroas was by his side, trying to get him to wake up. I crawled over and Iroas tensed as I approached. I pushed the thought from my mind and focused my attention on the fallen commander.

'Come on, Epsilon. Come on, brother. Wake up!' Iroas sounded desperate and close to breaking point.

'What happened?' I croaked

Iroas shook his head despairingly, 'The empousa attacked you and he went into a state of destruction. That is to say, he released all his energy and vaporised every monster that was left. Then he came back to heal you. He didn't have the energy for that. Using that much power could be enough to kill him.'

I couldn't say anything for shock. He could've just killed himself just to heal me? Why would he do that? He didn't even know me.

Iroas bent over Epsilon and cried. I felt tears running down my cheeks too. This man didn't know me, but he just sacrificed his life to save mine. How could you ever repay a debt like that? Well, its may turn out I don't have to, if he's dead ...

I crawled over to Epsilon's head. His skin had a horribly grey hue and there were dark circles under his eyes. The only indication that he was alive at all was that his whole body shivered marginally like he was in a meat locker.

'Iroas,' I said gently, putting my hand on his shoulder, 'he's alive.'

He jerked back on his haunches and stared at his quivering friend. For a moment he sat, speechless. Then he moved into action.

Hitching his arms under Epsilon's back and legs, Iroas picked him up and walked briskly off to the Chaos Cabin. I hurried after him. Iroas never broke his stride the whole way.

I hadn't seen the Chaos Cabin before, so it was surprising when we arrived at a relatively small, dark cabin with a Greek epsilon above the doorway. I was expecting something bigger.

Iroas stopped at the door and looked back at me. He seemed to be considering. Finally, he sighed and gave a nod.

'Come on,' he said, 'The others will want to hear it from you.'

He pushed the door open with his back and I scrambled in after him.

The feeling of expectation completely faded once I saw the inside of the cabin. It was huge; door lead off into other rooms and a luxurious living room was the center of the building.

The rest of the Chaos warriors were already there, milling around the room, sitting on the couches. They all jumped up and spun around when they heard Iroas enter with me trailing behind.

'Guys, we gotta tell you want happened after the battle.'

He stepped aside so they could all see that I was there. I got the feeling that this was Iroas' subtle way of telling the Chaos warriors to use their code names.

One of them came up to me, pulling her hood off as she did. She grabbed my arm gently and pulled me over to a couch.

'Annabeth,' Silena said, 'What happened to-' she hesitated like she'd almost made a slip, '-to Commander Epsilon.'