Chapter 3: Who's Percy Jackson?

Chapter 3: Who's Percy Jackson - Annabeth's POV

Epsilon dragged us through the portal and I lost sense of all direction and time. The midnight door that we had gone through seemed to go in and out of several other dimensions. The journey seemed to take an eternity yet also only a second.

And the whole time, Epsilons's hand on my arm felt stiff and rigid. His grip, though, was soft and strong from years of sword-fighting. His hand was warm and it made me feel relaxed. I hadn't felt a grip like that since ... Percy.

Stop it, I chided myself, you'll only cause yourself grief.

We walked out of the portal and came out on top of Half-Blood Hill. I wondered how Epsilon knew the right place to open a portal. Then I remember that Epsilon said he was a demigod, and I thought, who is this guy?

There was something about him that made me trust him completely. He took leadership like it was woven into his very nature and he was kind to everyone.

Epsilon's grip on my arm vanished and I turned my head to look at him. He was staring wistfully out across the strawberry fields. The odd collection of cabins at the bottom of the hill stood out and in the distance, the Big House was clearly visible; big and bright blue.

Epsilon sighed, 'It's been so long.'

I don't think he meant for me to overhear but I did.

'How long has it been since you were here?' I asked.

He inclined his head as if considering.

'I haven't set foot on Earth for 10 000 years,' he admitted.

'Oh.' Brilliant, I know. But what do you say to a comment like that?

He led me over to where his group stood, waiting for their leader. I thought about how Chiron would feel if we let an entire army march through camp and decided that Epsilon should talk to him.

'Epsilon,' I started.

He stiffened like I'd shot him in the back, 'Yes?'

I suddenly felt like an intruder on his privacy, 'I thought you should see Chiron to tell him whats going on. He's-'

'I know who he is,' Epsilon turned back to his troops. 'Iroas, come with me. Drakon, lead the others to the cabins. You know the way. Wait for us there.'

One of the group replied, 'Yes, commander.' So I guessed they must be Drakon. Though they sounded like a girl and I felt a rush of familiarity.

Drakon started walking straight towards the cabins. The other cloaked figures followed her lead. Only Iroas stayed behind

The other five demigods looked to me for instructions while Iroas looked to Epsilon. I exchanged a glance with the commander, or as much as I could without seeing his face. Once again, he took the leadership without complaint.

'Iroas is my second in command,' he told us. 'He will attend to me while we speak with Chiron.'

And with that, he started off towards the Big House. I glanced at the others who shrugged their shoulders. With a sigh, we took off after Iroas and Epsilon.

Percy's POV

With the other demigods left to catch up, I had a few seconds alone with Luke to discuss this turn of events.

'I wish Chaos had told us the demigods of the prophecy were going to be there,' I told him through gritted teeth.

'Maybe he didn't know,' Luke reasoned. 'Maybe he thought it wouldn't matter.'