Epilogue

~ Catfish and the Bottlemen - Cocoon ~

Zara

The sand under my feet is warm, soft and gentle. The sea breeze softly ruffles my hair which has grown significantly longer since Nathan and I first got together.
"Mummy, Rodger won't let me build a sandcastle!" My four year old girl complains, jumping onto my lap.
"Aw honey, how about you make a sandcastle with me?" I suggest and Milly beams, grinning eagerly.
Rodger, my eight year old, is sat not far off filling a bucket with sand.
As I help my daughter fill her own bucket and then turn it upside down to create a sandcastle I find myself glancing up and down the beach, wondering when Nathan will join us.
We're on holiday in France. Well it's a holiday for me and the kids but Nate is working. This French village is the setting of his new novel.
Nate has become a rather successful writer. He's written four novels, a play and even a book about how to make something of your life if you come from a rough background. He's also had an offer to turn one of his first stories into a film. The pride I feel towards his success is unreal. When I look back to the moody lad with the bad boy image that came and sit next to me in class all those years ago I can barely register how much he's changed. But then so have I. At 28 years of age I'm now a teacher. Crazy, I know, considering when I was in school I never ever wanted to go back. It felt like escaping from hell. But I work at a special school. In fact I'm a teacher for children aged 10-17 in a Young Offenders Institution. It's hard work and emotionally draining but there is nothing more rewarding than helping a child find a better path. Help them find a better life than one in and out of prison.
I have never once regretted giving up my skateboarding career. Fame just didn't suit me and I can't imagine bringing up children while doing interviews and competitions every other day. That is not what I wanted for my kids.
My family life is relatively normal and I always make sure I'm bringing my children up to the best of my ability so they're both healthy and happy. Bringing them up a way Dad would be proud of.
Rodger is named after my late father and shares my features where as his sister takes after their Dad with blonde hair and fantastic blue eyes I find extremely hard to say no too.
Once the sandcastle is complete, Milly and I stand back to admire our handy work.
"It's fit for a princess!" I smile at my giggling daughter who agrees proudly.   Our little moment is broken when Rodger comes hurtling down on to our sandcastle, literally diving on top of it so it's completely obliterated. He's laughing, thinking his actions were nothing but a harmless joke. I take a glance at Milly I notice her wobbling bottom lip. She's on the brink of bursting into tears.
"Rodger that wasn't a nice thing to do, you're upsetting your sister." I frown sternly, tutting. "Would you like to apologise?"
"Sorry Mills." Rodger apologises while trying to keep a straight face. According to my children (and their father) my strict face is more amusing than commanding. It's my angry face that they're all afraid of.
Before Milly can start bawling her eyes out I whisper softly in her ear, giving her an idea. A cheeky grin crosses her face and she takes off, ploughing towards her brothers sandcastle. I watch as realisation spreads across my sons face.
"No!" He yells but it's too late, my cheeky little girl is jumping all over the wrecked sandcastle.
"What comes around goes around." I remind him of a phrase I use a lot in front of my children. It's important for them to know their actions can have consequences. My children are wonderful and I love them so so much which means I do everything to help them become well mannered and caring young adults. On the other hand I don't want them to get walked on by others so I try and balance the kindness with confidence and strength.
For example if the kids want an ice cream I'll give them the money but they have to go by themselves and buy the ice cream.
Small things like that just help with everyday confidence.
Rodger huffs but keeps his complaints to himself.
The two of us take a seat on our towels, watching the waves lap at the beach.
"When's Dad getting here?" Rodger asks as my gaze flits over to Milly who's now playing happily in the sand. I can't help but notice how fast my son is growing up. Even since he called me 'Mummy' in front of his school friends and they laughed at him he's been adamant that he's old enough to call us 'Mum' and 'Dad' instead. It just shows how he's already maturing into a young lad and I can't deny that I miss my baby boy.
"I'm not sure honey, he's busy writing at the moment." I remind him and he groans in annoyance.
"He's more fun when he's not writing." Rodger protests and I have to say I agree with him. Nathan does get completely absorbed in his writing.
"If he didn't spend time writing he wouldn't have the money to take us away on these lovely holidays." I point out, smiling at my sulking son.