Chapter 21

Zara

Cold.

I felt really cold.

There was a constant beeping sound coming from beside me.

What the hell was that annoying sound? Surely, if I was dead, I wouldn't be conscious of anything around me? And yet I could feel. My body felt as though it weighed a tonne.

In the background my mind begun to pick up voices. I forced my heavy eyelids open but immediately slammed them shut again when reality hit me; I was alive.

This had not been part of my plan.

"Zara?" A voice cut through my thoughts. His voice. "Guys she just opened her eyes."

There were more people surrounding the bed I was lying on.

"Please wake up Z, I need you." Nathan pleaded, bringing the feeling of guilt back into my heart.

Hesitating only for another second I opened my eyes, greeted with Nathan's tired yet still beautiful features. His eyes clouded over with tears but he hastily blinked the away, a smile on his lips.

"Why am I alive?" I demanded, surprised at how weak my voice sounded. My throat was as dry as hell.

As soon as my words registered in Nathan's brain the smile fell of his face.

"Because you deserve to be." He whispered quietly and I stare at him in confusion; I certainly didn't deserve to be alive considering the pain and suffering that follows me everywhere, infecting peoples' lives.

The other people in the hospital room stood awkwardly apart from our conversation, unsure what to say or do.

"You should have let me..." I started but Nathan silenced me with a single finger to my lips.

"Don't say that, please don't say it." His eyes were swimming with pain of which I was the cause. Couldn't he see he'd be so much happier if he just let me go?

"You don't understand..." I tried again to make him see that his life would be better with me gone.

"No Zara, you don't understand." Nathan smiled sadly, but this time it didn't reach his eyes. "You don't get that I can't lose you. I can't let you go."

That was when the doctor walked in, a nurse following right behind. He spurted some doctor speech about loss of blood blah blah blah which in reality, I didn't understand a word of. Not that I actually cared.

"How are you feeling?" The doctor asked and I found myself scoffing at his question.

"Never better." I answered, sarcasm not well hidden.

The doctor nodded in understanding which pissed me off because he didn't understand otherwise he wouldn't have helped save my cursed life.

"Are you still having dark thoughts?" He questioned and I rolled my eyes in response.

"Well I'm pretty certain I'm not ready to run with the fairies shouting 'I LOVE LIFE' at the top of my voice." I replied harshly and the doctors' lips thinned in clear annoyance to my unhelpfulness.

"This is not something to joke about." He reminded me but I did notice Nathans' lips twitch in slight amusement to my tone. "You tried to kill yourself."

"And failed." I finished for him, gritting my teeth in obvious annoyance.

The doctor nodded again and wrote something down on his clipboard.

"You are in a severe state of depression..." He started and I found myself interrupting.

"No shit Sherlock."

"Please let me finish

"Please let me finish." The doctor sighs and I bit the inside of my cheek to prevent any more unneeded comments coming out of my mouth. "The best thing we can do for you is send you to a place where you can be safe from yourself..."

"Wait what?" This time it's Nathan who interrupts.

"Please hear me out." The doctors' expression is one of half sympathy, half frustration. It's a strange mixture. "I'm referring you to a Depression Treatment Centre."

My eyes widened in shock.

"You're sending her to rehab?" Nathan's jaw clenched and it was clear to tell he was getting angry. "I can look after her just fine!"

The nurse gave Nathan a sympathetic smile and spoke for the first time.

"You can't watch her 24/7 and I strongly doubt you're a trained therapist." She pointed out softly, the doctor agreeing with her words. "In the Centre Zara will receive the quickest and most effective treatment around. When she's out she will be back to her old self again."

Nathan seemed as though he was about to put up more of a fight but Tom took the chance to step forward, placing a supportive hand on Nate's tense shoulder.

"You want her to recover don't you?" He stated and, after a few seconds, Nathan sighed in defeat.

It was like I didn't even have a say in the matter.

What if I didn't want to 'recover'?