Chapter 6

Zara

This wasn't fair. None of this was fair. Every day Dad seemed weaker and weaker. I knew he was putting on a brave face and trying to cover up the pain he truly felt. He was scared as shit. Truth be told he was not the only one who was afraid of every passing hour, unsure whether he'd survive another day.
The terror I felt about the possibility of loosing him was unreal. I wasn't sure if I'd even be able to cope.

Dad was the one who's helped me deal with my crappy ex friends. He made me smile if I felt depressed and I couldn't begin to imagine a world without him.

I'll be alone in this big, messed up world with no one to trust.

"Chick, you awake?" Dad spoke from his bed and I turned over in my own, temporary bed.

"Yeah." I said quietly, trying not to react at how weak he looked.

"Nathan went to school." Dad informed me and I nodded, pulling the blanket tightly around my shoulders protectively. "Zara, you need him. He's a good kid."

"I don't need him." I shook my head. "The only person I need is you."

Dad's eyes glazed over and I felt guilt pulse through me.

"I need you too chick." He blinked, a single tear falling down his hollow cheek. "But I need to know you won't be alone. Please, for me."

"Nathan has his own problems." I pointed out, but I knew Dad wouldn't be swayed.

"He'll make time for you. I can tell, he's a good kid." Dad repeated. "Just like you."

~~~

After a lot of persuading on dads half, I decided to go to school the following morning.

I hadn't seen Nathan since he left the hospital after his Mum demanded to know where he'd been.

That reminds me, I thought as I trudged towards the main gates of my dreaded school, I still haven't apologised for my behaviour towards her in my therapy session.

She didn't deserve to be spoken to like that, especially when she's only trying to help.

"Oh look who's back." A voice sneered from in front of me but I ignored Madison, walking right past her. I had bigger things on my mind than her petty comments. "We all thought you'd killed yourself. Or done a runner."

Even though every word out of her mouth stung me, I carried on walking past her, determined to ignore the paranoia setting in.

I felt like everyone was staring and talking about me. The corridor quietened as I walked through.

"I thought she had left."

"What's she doing here?"

"How come she's allowed a week off school?"

"I thought we were free of her."

I pretended not to hear and opened my locker only to be hit in the face with an awful smell. It was full of rotten food and I retched, slamming the disgusting locker shut and backing away.

"Thought you'd want a welcome back present." Madison grinned, pleased by the reaction she'd gotten from me.

"How the fuck did you get my combination?"

"Remember me?" Alex stepped forward and leant against the lockers. Damn, I forgot he knew my lock combination. "What are you doing back?"

"Fuck off." I cursed them and walked away from my locker, which I no longer wished to use.