Chapter 17

Nathan

Mum had been fretting ever since I admitted why I was so jittery. The threat of Dad being so close scared her and in all honesty it terrified me too. In reality I always knew he'd catch up with me, but I'd hoped for a little longer to prepare myself mentally.

It felt just like old times; Mum was muttering to herself and crying with fear at the thought of seeing her husband and I was pacing nervously, glaring at the front door as though daring it to open.
Matthew Channing, the man that messed with our heads.
The night wore on and still there was no sign of him. Mum had cried herself to sleep but I couldn't let myself drift off. If he turned up we'd be vulnerable.
Eleven o'clock came and still nothing.
Eleven thirty...Eleven forty five.

At midnight, nothing had happened and I slowly started to feel my eyes droop with exhaustion. Maybe he'd give me another day, one more day.

Then my phone buzzed, jerking me awake.
Zara had sent me a message.
Sighing with tiredness I opened the text, not expecting what I saw.

My eyes scanned the text quickly and my heart raced with fear, realising my mistake.
Matthew wasn't coming for Mum and I, he wanted me to come to him.

I reread the text message, squeezing my phone so hard I thought it might break.

Son, I hope you decide to join us. I'm really enjoying breaking your pretty friend here. She's strong, that's what makes it more fun don't you think? If you're not here by sunrise, you'll never see your pretty little friend alive again. If you contact the police, I will know and we'll be gone before they even get here.
Sunrise.
M x

My whole body was shaking. He'd threatened to kill her. I panicked, knowing I couldn't face my Dad. If I turned up, he'd probably just kill us both. I thought sending Zara away would keep her off Matthews's radar but clearly I'd been wrong.
But Zara...alone with that freak...how could I leave her?

~~~

It was almost sunrise and I still hadn't left the house, pacing up and down attempting to control my breathing so I could think clearly.
I couldn't face my dad, I couldn't leave Zara.
Those facts fought around my brain, almost driving me insane.

My phone buzzed and I opened it quickly.

Ten minutes son, she's​ waiting.
M x

That was when I remembered the promise I'd made her dad. Protect her.
Grabbing my coat and a knife from the kitchen I made my decision.

Zara

When I came too it was almost sunrise. My head ached like mad and I'd accepted the fact that Nathan wasn't coming. His fear of his Dad out weighted his fear for my safety.

Nathans Dad, who'd told me he was called Matthew, was staring at me with his spine shivering smirk.
"You don't think his going to come?" He asked, but I couldn't reply due to a piece of tape which was conveniently over my mouth. "In some ways, I hope he doesn't. I don't think I've ever killed a girl as young as you." His eyes were mad. "The last girl didn't last long, she was in her thirties and we were just going on a date. Sadly she didn't do sex on first dates. She did this time though."
His words sickened me. What sane person would take pleasure in doing obscene things to women?
"Five minutes." He counted down, reminding me of Nathan.
He wasn't coming. If he was, he'd have come as soon as he'd received the first text.
"Four minutes."
Every minute that past found me closer and closer to this man's potential danger.
"Three."

Nathan, I begged internally, please help me. Panic bubbled up inside me and I swallow my tears, determined not to appear weak in front of this sick man.