Chapter 12

School ended up being pretty intense with many people coming up to me and giving their condolences. Quite a few of my old friends apologised, begging on their knees for forgiveness and asking if I was OK.

Even though I didn't quite feel up to completely forgiving my old friendship group, I did thank them for asking after me

Apparently every student in the school had been notified about my Dad's death which sucked. It was my business to tell who I wanted to tell, but there was nothing I could do about it now.
Even though I tried to be polite, I got irritated quickly and Nathan would tell the crowd to shove off and give me some space.
"They all seem in love with you." Nathan teased me, and I rolled my eyes.
"It's pathetic, if I hear another person tell me they're sorry for my loss I swear I'll...oh God." I groaned in annoyance when I saw who was walking towards us. "What the fuck do you want?"
Alex hovered next to me, nervous and uncomfortable. Is it bad that made me feel smug?
"Briggy I'm sorry." He used my old nickname which made me feel sick.
"Don't use that, I'm Zara, not some stupid old nickname." I growled at him, threateningly.
"Easy there tiger." Nathan joked, earning a glare from me. He put his hand up in mock surrender and walked a few steps away. "I'll give you two some privacy."

There was an awkward silence that I was not planning on breaking.
"Zara. I wanted to say sorry. I know that doesn't cover it, but I was really moved by your Dad's talk..."

"Don't you say a word about Dad." I felt the pain in my heart double at the memory of him.
"Sorry, I'm so sorry." He looked desperate and I wouldn't let myself be weak in front of a guy I used to love. "Look, I believe that you didn't kiss that guy at my party. I should have guessed that you'd never hurt me like that and I feel stupid for not seeing through that bitch."
"Took you long enough." I folded my arms in front of my chest. "You broke my heart Alex. I mean, all of my other friends leaving me was tough. But you. I was in love with you, I lost my virginity to you. But when that guy kissed me you didn't even give me a second to explain."
"I regret that! I'm an idiot, and I should have trusted you." He took my hand in his and I felt my heart flutter. "Can we start over? Be friends and forget this whole thing happened?"
For a second I felt the attraction to him that had made me fall for him. I remembered all the good days we'd spent together as the schools 'Golden Couple'. But then my brain kicked in.
"No, I don't do fake friendships anymore." I snatched my hand back and marched over to Nathan who was chatting to Tom.
"How'd it go?" Nathan asked and threw an arm around my shoulder, allowing me to relax slightly.
"He said sorry and asked to forget about everything." I shrugged, going over what had just happened in my mind. "He wanted to be friends."
"And..." Tom encouraged.
"I told him no." I bit my lip, hoping I hadn't made an enemy of him.
"Don't blame you, the way he's spoken to you these past weeks." Tom shrugged and I gave him a small smile, and then took a step forward, hugging him gently. I didn't say anything. The gesture was enough. It was me saying thank you for being a true friend.

"It's nice to have you back Zara." Tom squeezed me, returning the hug and I felt a smile pull at my lips.

Nathan cooed and made a silly remark on how the gang was finally back together as the three of us walked to tutor together.
"You know who's going to be there right?" Nathan warned me and I inhaled sharply. "Oh, you must have forgotten."
"Madison." I breathed, actually feeling scared to face that girl.
What would she do? Apologise? Maybe she'd carry on being a bitch to me. Or worse, could she want revenge?