Chapter 15

Nathan

Mum was useless when I asked her to help me pick out a new skateboard for Zara.
"Ooh that one's pretty!" She pointed at one with white and purple swirls underneath.
"Mum, it may look nice but I want a real good quality one." I argued, studying the various boards around me hopelessly.
It was useless! I didn't know which were good quality ones and which skateboards were simply there to look pretty.
"Can I help you?" A man asked, thankfully saving me.
"Yes please, my friend is a keen skateboarder and I want to buy her one as a surprise." I explained, blushing a bit as I told him why she needed a new one. "I may have broken her old one while she was trying to teach me."
At this he threw his head back and laughed.
"Oh the amount of skateboards I've broken in my time." He shook his head, hands on hips. "When you say keen, is she very good?"
"From what I've seen, she's amazing." I confirmed, smiling slightly at the memory of her numerous tricks.
"Ok, you've got two options." He reached up behind him and took down the attractive skateboard mum had pointed out earlier.
"See honey! You should listen to your Mother." Mum nudged my shoulder proudly, making me roll my eyes.
"This is pretty basic but a bit more flimsy than your average skateboard. Don't worry; it's not any weaker though." He handed it over to me and I held it, still unsure.
"The other option?" I placed it on the floor, deciding that the colours were too girly for Zara. Plus it wasn't anything special. Zara deserved something special.
"Yes, this board isn't a new model or anything, but it's pretty special and a bit pricier." He warned and I had to admit I was intrigued. The man beckoned me into the storage room which was filled with different types of skateboard. "It's here somewhere...ah!"
Pulling out a boxed up skateboard, he leant it on the wall and gestured towards it. "Take a look."
Feeling quite excited, I hastily opened the cardboard box and slid the board out. After removing all the packaging, I heard mum gasp behind me.
The board was magnificent, and it suited Zara to a T.
With plain black and white patterns on the bottom and awesomely speedy looking wheels, I knew this was the one for her.
"It's a Roxy Meador Sketch Skateboard." The man informed us proudly. "I didn't order many in, this is the last one. Impressive isn't she?"
"I'll take it." I grinned, knowing Zara will love it.

Zara

This weekend sucked. I kept on going over the events of the past months.
First I lost all my friends and was demoted from queen bee to the scum everyone trod on. Next I lost my dad and then I decide to sit in the middle of the train tracks.
I'm a train wreck, and I'm worried I won't get any better.
The pain of losing Dad is still fresh, as though it was a wound that refused to heal but just kept on bleeding and bleeding.
Nathan had gone out with his Mum and I was alone in their house.
The pain I was feeling wasn't physical. There are no proper wounds on me and yet I felt completely bruised and battered.
Worse than the night Michaels gang beat me up.
Dads face flashed in front of my eyes and I felt my eyes heating, threatening tears.
It wasn't fair, none of this is fair!

There was a sharp knock on the door which shook my horrible thoughts away.
Quickly I wiped my eyes and went from the kitchen into the hallway. For some reason I paused just before I got to the door.
Nathan and Maria both have keys and no one normally comes over here so who was it?
My heart beat raced but curiosity got the better of me and I slowly opened the door.
Standing on the doorstep was a man, probably in his forties.
With sandy blonde hair and piercing blue eyes, it was like looking at an older Nathan.
"C...can I help?" I stuttered, trying not to show fear.
He looked me up and down carefully, not even bothering to hide it.
"Nathan home?" He asked and I shook my head. "Maria?"
"No." I spoke firmly but he glared at me with untrusting eyes and I felt myself quivering under his gaze.
"Mind if I check?" The man didn't wait for an answer and pushed past me into his ex wives house.
"You shouldn't be here." I called, running after him into the house as he began searching. "Please leave."
Nathans father ignored me like I was nothing.
It was strange, this man was handsome and good looking, just like Nathan, but the two men were so different in personality, that much was obvious.
No matter how scared Nathan might be that he will turn into his father, I can tell he has nothing to worry about.
"Stop staring at me you creepy little girl." He growled and pushed me again, heading upstairs. "Where are they?"
"Not here, I suggest you leave." I ran up after him, into Maria's room. This was the first time I'd been in here and I felt guilty for intruding on her personal space.
"Damn it Maria!" He cursed and walked out of the room, with me close behind.
"I'm telling you to leave, right now." I stupidly grabbed his clothing and he halted in his tracks, spinning around and cornering me, one hand on my waist and the other pressing against the wall behind my head.
His face was inches from mine.
"You have no idea what I could do to you. Pathetic little girl." He snapped with eyes full of evil.
"You think your special and above everyone else when in reality you're just a big bully." I spat at him. "Do what you want to me; I'm sure I've dealt with worse."
The man cocked his head to the side and gave me a curious look.
"To answer your question, no I am not afraid of you." I pushed his shoulders and his arms fell to his side. "Now leave."
He took a step away.
"You're extremely stupid and naïve if you are not afraid of me. Nathan is." His eyes shone with pride at being feared by his son and I felt physically sick at the thought of Nathan being brought up by this horrid man.
"I don't fear you." I stepped towards him and pointed to the stairs. "Go, and leave these good people alone."
Nathan's Dad gave me one last glance then turned and jogged down the stairs. After a few seconds I heard the door shut.
The fact that he actually left amazed me; he didn't seem like the type of guy to give up just like that.
In my gut, I knew he'd be back.

~~~

For some reason, since Nathan had got home I'd been putting off telling him about the unwanted visitor. I knew it was vital I told him, but I just couldn't bring myself to break his good mood.

"There's something in the kitchen for you." He grinned at me, almost jumping up and down with excitement and it was starting to get infectious. "If you don't like it we can swap it but-"
"I don't need presents Nate!" I pushed my hair out of my face and laughed at him tying to keep his excitement in check.

"Ok but this is something I owe you." Nathan grinned at me and it struck me how pure and kind his eyes were. Even though they were the same colour as his Dads, the emotion behind them was completely different.
Rolling my eyes at him I agreed to let him lead me into the kitchen with my eyes shut.

On the way, he managed to bash my knee on the sofa and walk me into a wall, but we managed to get to the kitchen in more or less one piece.
"Okay, open in one, two, and three..." He counted down. "Open!"
My eyes burst open and I blinked a few times.
In front of me, lying on the table was a Roxy skateboard, of a much higher quality than my last board.
"Ohmygod." I gasped and Nathan hugged me from behind.
"You like?" He said in my ear.
"It's beautiful." I breathed and stepped forwards to touch it. "And you're right; you did owe me a skateboard."
"This is true." He nodded cheekily. "I promise I won't attempt to skate on this one."
"You're clumsy feet better stay away from Bettie or I'll..."
"Bettie?" He stared at me, a smirk playing on his lips.
"Yeah I give my skateboards names..." I mumbled awkwardly.
There was a second of silence, then Nathan burst out laughing and I frowned.
"Out of every name, you call it Bettie?" Nathan laughed even louder and I honestly didn't think it was that funny.
"It's a good, reliable name." I defended, holding Bettie in my arms and hugging her to my chest. "I'm going to the park, you coming?"
Once Nathan had got over the name of my beautiful new skateboard, we made our way over to the skate park for some fun.
It didn't take me long to get used to this board, which was much more powerful than my last, basic board. I was sure I could master more tricks on this special thing than I would ever have done on my old one.
Nathan had been videoing my session, determined to show his mum and the guy he'd brought the skateboard off just how good I was.
To be honest I think he'd talked me up to the dude in the shop; I was an average skateboarder, nothing special.
Suddenly I'd noticed there were no other skateboarders or tricksters in my way. I'd been in my element for so long that I hadn't even noticed everyone leaving.
Wow how time flies when you're having fun.
It felt so good to be back in the skate park.
Halting straight next to Nathan, he pocketed his phone and smiled warmly.
"Zara you skate like a Queen." Nathan said softly and I blushed at his compliment, even if it was an exaggeration.
His eyes found mine and I felt butterflies in my stomach.
Taking a step closer, he put his hand on my cheek and I felt our bodies getting closer.
My eyes couldn't look away and I felt drawn towards him.
"I really like you Z." Nathan breathed and we were so close I felt his breath tickle my skin.
And then I remembered his Dad.
"We can't do this..." I closed my eyes and I felt Nathan take a step back.
"Ok sorry that was too forward." He sounded hurt and I hated myself for what I said next.
"It's not that, your Dad came to the house today." I took his hand in mine, trying to show him that I liked him too, this just wasn't the right time.
"What?!" Nathan snatched his hand out of mine. "You're telling me this NOW?"
"Yeah I'm sorry it's just..."
"Why the fuck didn't you tell me?"
"You were so happy and bubbly I didn't want to change your mood." I defended myself.
"I've just left mum in the house on her own." Nathan gasped, snatching his bag from the floor and running off faster than the wind.

He was angry at me, and I deserved it.