Chapter 13

Hey everybody!

Comment!

Vote!

Fan!

Add to reading list!

Rate 1-5!

*****************************************************************************************************

Finding Awenasa

Chapter 13

*Joe's POV*

The creaking of the ladder brought me awake with a start and I blinked rapidly to rid my eyes of the blurriness of sleep.  It was dark all around and I reached blindly for my sack.  Once I found it, I searched in it until  I finally found my candle and matchbox.

I struck the match and quickly lit the candle's wick.  I placed it securely in one of the snug notches between the wooden planks in the floor and watched as wax started to dribble down the sides.  All seemed again quiet.  It must have been the wood contracting against the cold, night air.

My candle bathed the loft in a flickering, faint, golden yellow light.  I inhaled deeply, finally becoming accustomed to the stink of the horses.

"Joe?" a voice asked through the heavy darkness.  I recognized it at once.

"Cocheta? What are you doing in here?  Is something wrong?" I questioned as she came into view.

She shook her head, her mouth a thin, pink line.  The whites of her eyes stood out in the dim light, but the flame cast just enough to make her look angelic.

She wore her shift, a jacket, and her moccasins.  Her hair hung down in slight ringlets almost to her waist.  It was then that it struck me: I thought she was beautiful.

"Shouldn't you be sleeping?" my voice penetrates the darkness.  I noted the corners of her lips decrease into a frown.  She walked closer to me and I reached out and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

"I wanted to talk to you." Cocheta answered me.  My ears drank in the sound of her voice.

"What did you want to talk about?" I wondered aloud.

"Your sister seems to have taken a liking with Peter." she said casually.  I nodded my head, gesturing for her to go on.

"Do you have someone?" she seemed to struggle to put her thoughts to words and it came out as a breathy whisper.

"No.  No one." I answered.  She smiled a soft, tender smile, and I suddenly had the urge to kiss her, but I restrained myself.  "Do you have someone?"

"Not yet, but I'd like to have someone someday." Now we were inches apart from each other.  She leaned in and kissed my cheek before scuryying down the ladder and back out the door.  The wind blew the candle out as the door shut with a soft thud.

The only proof that it hadn't been just a dream, was the pool of wax, hardened around the bottom of my candle.

*Cocheta's POV*

"Floor or bed?" I asked Maria when I slipped back in through the window.  I shut  it behind me, closing off the flow of cold air that was entering the room.

"You can have the bed if you want..." there was a slight pause.  "Did you really...?"

"Just his cheek.  Go to sleep now.  I'll see you in the morning and we can talk."

Maria let out what seemed to be a relieved sigh, but from the light of the small fire, i thought i caught a glimpse of dissapointment flash across her face.

"Goodnight Cocheta." Maria said once we were both settled.

"Goodnight Maria." I replied.  My last thoughts as I fell asleep, were of one Joesph Clay who had recently become a very important person in my life.

***********************************************************************************************************

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a reminder: don't forget to...

Vote

Comment

Fan

Add

Like

Tweet

Rate

Etc... Etc... Etc...