Broken

Armin's POV

"Hey Armin, can I stay with you for a couple of days?"

You have no idea what my first thoughts were when he said that. I was happy, the happiest person on earth, but I was also the most miserable.

I thought, "Why aren't I good enough for you? Why do I keep trying? Why are you so freaking beautiful?" But of course I didn't say it. How could I? I'm the one who broke his heart.

I knew I broke his heart before we even broke up. I noticed that his heart broke every night and that he pieced it back together every morning.

"I guess that would be fine, but why?" I responded. And I knew I made a mistake. The pain that flashed across his face was only there for a second, but I saw it. I'd never seen someone so close to breaking down. "It's okay, you don't have to answer."

"Thanks, that means a lot. It really does," he said with a sheepish smile. But I've known this boy for a long time, and it didn't take an expert to know that it was fake.

"Shall we get going then?" I asked. I couldn't take this pain any longer.

"Ugh, but I'm so comfortable here," he whined. "But okay."

He stood up and I was about to do the same, but then I saw him walking towards me. His eyes, they looked so empty. They looked so full of joy the last time I saw him with Levi.

He extended his hand out towards me for me to take. And I did. Be careful with the skin on my hands. To your hands, it can be as fragile as paper, but don't let go. And then he let go.

We walked to my house in silence. Until I said, "I'm not going to ask if your okay," because I new he would say that he was, "cause I know your going to say that you are, so let me ask this: are you emotionally stable?"

Without hesitation he answered. "No, not really."

"Okay, so I'm not allowed to pry, right?" It was a rule we established when we went out. If we weren't okay, we wouldn't ask questions. Just wait until we wanted to talk it out, if we ever wanted to. Not Eren though, he bottled it up and never said anything.

Never cried. Never did anything. He just slit his wrists and arms. I never said anything about it until that day. I should of tried to help him, but I didn't even know how to help myself.

He just kept staring straight ahead. "Yes, you are correct."

"Okay. Just tell me if you ever want to talk about it. I care more about your feelings than time." And I meant it. Every word of it.

We walked the rest of the way home in silence. As soon as I got home, I headed straight for the couch. I always did this after Eren and I came home from being out on the street. I haven't been doing it lately, but I guess his presence had an impact on me. Old habits die hard.

And then I heard his voice. "Armin, I'm going to the mall, wanna join?"

"No thanks. I've already got plans," I responded and waved him off. But I could tell he did just the opposite. He scooted to the front of the couch.

"You're always like that," here we go, "with whom? Where? When?"

"I know with who and where, I just don't know when," I responded.

"Damn, that's deep," he said.

How come you can touch my soul, but I can't touch yours?

And then I pretended to be asleep. Maybe that would be a good opportunity to let him break down. Do what he needed to do to advance forward.

I wanted to ask him why he didn't cry, why he refused to let people see him cry. I wanted to ask if he won a medal or something for not crying in front of others.

But then he said, "I have a lot to ask you. I have a lot to tell you. But you fell asleep too early."

My heart felt a pang of sadness. A pang of sadness that I would never forget. And then I actually did go to sleep.

...

The next morning, I woke up to a pillow being slammed to my chest. Which scared the shit out of me.

"You almost made my heart jump out," I yelled. I clutched my chest to make sure that it didn't. But nope, it was still there. Sadly.

"Don't worry, if it falls out, I'll pick it up for you," he responded.
Stop. Don't say things you don't mean, I'm begging you.

"Okay, I'm counting on you for when that happens," I said and turned to the side. I don't think I could see his face right now. He says things so carelessly.

"No, no, no, no, no, Armin. We're going out somewhere today," he said while tugging on the back of my shirt. "Let's go to I Hop. I'm in the mood for pancakes."

I put a pillow to my ear, trying to block out the noise. "We have some in the fridge. Just put it in the microwave."

He tugged on my shirt again. "Stop being a cheapskate. We're going out."

He yanked me on more time and the next thing I knew was that he was right beside me on the floor. Staring into my eyes.

He's one in 7 billion, and I know that feels like impossible odds, but right now he's my everything. 7 billion combined. When will I ever find someone else like him? But I have to let go. For his sake and for my sanity.

I looked at him once more with infinite longing, infinite sadness. It's going to take a long while, but I'm going to get over him. I have to.

Once upon a time, I fell in love with a boy. I fell first for the back of his head. His brown hair lied mercilessly around the tips of his ears and over the nape of his neck. I'd never wanted to touch anything so much in my life. And one day, I decided to get over him. But we all know, that it's easier said than done.

He smiled the biggest smile ever. It was beautiful. Breathtaking, even.

But then he ruined it by saying, "Glad we see eye to eye on this."

He laughed so hard, while I cringed at the cornyness. "Gosh, I forgot how corny you are," I said while still clutching the pillow to my chest.

He sat up and looked at me with arms spread. "What, I'm hilarious."

I'm so done with this fool. "Whatever you say, Jaeger. C'mon lets go to I Hop."

[Author's Note]

Helloo!

I was gonna update yesterday, but i forgot. And i was gonna update earlier, but my phone decided to delete half the chapter I was writing. I was so mad. I tried to restore it, but then it bullshited me and didnt do jack squat.

Anyways, how was yalls day? Did you like the chapter? Any feed back? Any ideas? Im gladly open to suggestions.

And guess what? Tomorrow's my last day of school. Im so happy. But i haven't studied for the last 2 exams i have to take tomorrow. Oops.

Anyways, dont forget to comment and vote and do whatever you beautiful people do.

Bye 💕