Blood Born - Chapter 37

Start from the beginning

As before I was stripped nude as the replaced the dresses I hadn't taken off the night before with the wedding garb. A few places felt times, some loose, and it was entirely too long.

"No, no, no. It's all wrong."

She began blabbering in what seemed another language as she pointed and tugged. The rough seamstress nodded and the ladies quickly undressed me and were out of the room in a flash.

"What was that?" Charlene asked sleepily.

"The seamstress. They're finishing the alterations or something. I'm not sure."

I dug through my dresses as the new maid prepared my water for washing.

"Are you going through with the wedding?"

"Of course, Charlene. I don't have a choice even if I didn't want to."

"I'm glad you are."

"I know. Despite what has happened. I need to be happy. Elizabeth would want me to be happy."

"You're right, she would."

"Do you want me to help?"

I shook my head and allowed the new maid to pick out a dress. She chose well. A rose pink damask with gold paneling. The sleeves turned back to reveal more gold.

"These shoes, madame?"

I nodded and slipped them on before sitting in font of the vanity. The young girl twisted my locks about before pinning them to the top of my head. She slipped a gold leaf and peal diadem into the tousled curls.

"Where are you from?" I asked the girl.

"Edinburgh, madame."

"How did you end up here?"

"My father owes a great deal of money that he could not pay back so I am helping to work off his debt while he's in prison."

"Prison? How old are you?"

"I am thirteen."

"You are quite skilled with hair."

"Thank you, madame. Prior to being employed in the king's household I worked for a lovely countess in Edinburgh."

"How much?"

"I'm unsure, madame."

I am sorry for your situation."

"Tis not your fault, mi lady."

I stood once she finished and left the room with Charlene as the girl began cleaning up. I tried to think back to when I was thirteen. That was a busy year for us. We traveled quite a bit, I could never imagine having to pay off my fathers debts.

The banquet hall was buzzing with life. Garland adorned the walls, hung from chandeliers, while tabled were covered in the whitest of cloth. In the center of the room a small raised area with two thrones with a beautiful purple and gold canopy covering it.

"Impressive, isn't it?" Mother asked standing in the center of the commotion with her hands on her hips.

"It's something."

"This will be the most magnificent wedding."

"I'm glad you're enjoying yourself, mother."

"Don't worry, sweetheart. When you're in your gown and standing at the alter all will be well."

"Perhaps."

Charlene and I spent the rest of the day and the next wondering the grounds of the castle. My mind was so far from a wedding. James rode off the day mother announced our wedding date and hadn't been back. Nobody would tell me where he vanished to or why he left so suddenly.

The morning of the wedding I lay in bed. I could hear people rustling about outside the room. Sitting up, I waited. I knew they were coming for me.

Within a few moments the doors burst open and my eyes grew wide as saucers. An army of ladies, including my new maid, came rushing in.

"What is going on?" I hollered as I was dragged from the bed and stripped.

I was getting used to being naked in front of people as much as I hated it.

"We are getting you ready, Princess Evelyn!" the girl said with a wide smile.

Hot water was poured into a large metal tub, and I was ushered in. Different oils and soaps were dumped in as a few of the other ladies began to scrub my skin and hair. The entire morning was spent preparing me for a ceremony and banquet that would last only a few hours.

As the sun waned in the sky I was finally ready. The chapel wasn't far from my chamber. Making my way through the castle, I was followed by Charlene and all my ladies. Being a princess didn't give me nearly as many in my household as my mother. Aside from Charlene, there were five other girls from families around the country. They wore matching gold damask gowns with red paneling. My lace gown fit better than anything I had ever worn before. The soft fabric felt amazing against my skin. I stood before the doors of the chapel with heart racing. A smile spread across my face as the door opened, revealing a room lit with thousands of candles. James stood at the alter wearing a jacket and pants of gold with a shirt of the deepest red. A scabbard rested at his side while a white gold chain hung on his shoulders. He turned to look at me, his jaw seemed to drop as I walked down the aisle, my shoes leaving indents on the fresh white fabric

The ceremony lasted an hour. By the end my stomach growled and churned. I hadn't had a chance to eat all day.

"I have a gift for you," James said, motioning to a man on the opposite side of the banquet hall.

"A gift?"

"Yes. It's why I haven't been here for the past three days. I had to ride quite a distance to pick it up. I hope you will forgive me."

The man placed a purple velvet pillow on my lap. Furrowing my brows I unwound the scarlet cord that kept the flap down and pulled it back. A beautiful golden crown covered in rubies and sapphires sat before me. Picking it up I noticed in the center was the most remarkable red, blue, and purple stone.

Running my finger over it, I looked at James.

"It's a dragon's breath opal."

"Dragon's breath?"

"Yes. Dragon's breath. The elder dragons created it to help celebrate the future queen of England and Scotland."

I leaned over and rather unceremoniously hugged my husband. Gasps rang up from the crowd. A king and queen rarely showed such emotion in public. I didn't care though.

"I love it," I whispered.

"And I love you," he whispered back.

He pressed his lips to mine in a very daring move. I allowed him to help remove the crown my mother gave me to wear and replaced it with my dragon's breath. We danced, laughed, and drank till the wee hours of the morning.

"I believe it's time we retire to our chamber, husband." I giggled as he twirled me around the floor while the musicians continued to play.

"I believe you are right, wife."

As we left the banquet hall a rather large crowd of people began to follow. James stopped and faced everyone.

"I think we can manage on our own."

Murmurs rose up amongst all. "There is no need to worry about what may happen once we go to bed. Please, enjoy the rest of the festivities."

As he helped me remove the many layers, I hurried into the bed. Fresh bedding and new pillows were put on James's bed. He sat beside me, kissing me tenderly.

We spent the night entwined with one another as only husband and wife do.