"Must you do this every year?"

Narrator

It was the night before Pricilla's birthday and she had already gone to bed.

Annick spent her time hanging a few decorations here and there just to make her smile.

She baked her a cake, and extravagantly decorated it.

~

It was 9:04 a.m. when Annick got up, scurried over to her niece's bedroom, yelling happy birthday.

Pricilla opened her eyes, groaning.

"Must you do this every year?"

"Uh yeah."

"Alright well,"

Pricilla sat up, rubbing her eyes.

"What are we doing today that has you all excited?"

"Well first, I'll let you open your present." Annick said, handing her the small wrapped box.

Pricilla tore off the wrapping paper and slightly gasped when she saw the white box with the small apple logo.

"You didn't..."

"I did." Annick grinned.

"You mean...there's not gonna be an avocado or anything when I open this?"

"No there's not now can you just open it." She laughed.

Pricilla opened the box and her eyes widened when she spotted the iPhone 5s.

"Oh my gosh...but why did you get me something so expensive?" She almost whispered.

That's how Pricilla expressed her happiness.

With questions of why it was happening to her.

But Annick liked the fact that she wasn't either jumping up and down in happiness or complaining about why she couldn't get the 6 like any other fourteen year old.

She wasn't like any other fourteen year old and that's what Annick loved best about her niece.

"You know what the best part of having your birthday just a few months after mine was?"

"What?"

"When your mom was pregnant with you, I didn't see her once."

"Why?"

"I guess she wanted it to stay a surprise for nine months. But on my birthday she called me. She said she'll see me in a few months and by then she'd have my present with her..."

Pricilla looked up and paid full attention.

She loved it when Annick told stories about her mom.

It made her feel like she got more time with her mom then just seven years.

"Two months later, my dad tells me and my brothers to get in the car and he doesn't tell us where we're going. Then we get to the hospital and I was confused as hell because I just thought we were going to McDonald's or something."

She stopped and laughed with Pricilla at the last part.

"The nurse leads us to the room and I walk in there and there she is. But not just her, she has a little baby in her arms. I was the first one to get to hold you."

Pricilla sighed.

"I'm sorry." She softly said.

"For what?"

"You and her were like best friends and...the car accident happened when she was picking me up from school."

"And?"