"I am loving this sassy side"

Narrator POV

Annick sat on the bed Indian style waiting for Randy to come out.

She had gotten an early in the morning call from her niece asking if she could come and get her.

When he came out his hair was still damp and was dripping on his v-neck.

She bounced off the bed, grabbing him and pulling him over to sit him down.

"You okay?" He asked.

"I'm gonna comb your hair." She said.

He sighed.

"You know how many people try to do that?"

"Yeah but I'm your girl-what am I?"

Randy looked up.

"I was hoping you'd wait to ask that question in two weeks but since you're  asking it now...would it be too quick if I were to call you my girlfriend?"

"It would be unusual...I like it."

Randy grabbed Annick's hand, pulling her onto his lap.

"I don't think I'm someone you'd like to be involved with at the moment." She suddenly blurted out.

"What do you mean?"

She sighed, getting off his lap.

"Let me break this down for you, okay?"

He nodded.

"They tell me that I'm not going to adopt Pricilla. But I am. One way or another. Now you, you're my boyfriend now. Are we clear so far?"

"Crystal."

"Alright good. So I'm gonna be twenty three in like a week. Meaning; I'm growing up. So if I look for a boyfriend, I'm not just looking for a boyfriend. I'm looking for someone I can possibly marry in the future. So if you're not looking for someone to commit to, this isn't gonna work out. But if you are, then you're gonna be getting yourself into the life of a woman who is struggling to adopt a thirteen year old who is in the custody of a drug addict who treats her like shit."

He stared at Annick for a while.

"Well now that I know what I'm getting myself into, I'm glad I get to call you my girlfriend."

Annick blushed.

"Well....you still have to let me comb your hair." She said sitting behind him, grabbing a comb, beginning to run it through the dark brown hair.

"Wait here." She said as she slid out of the passengers seat.

She walked up to the one story house where Karen lived.

She knocked on the door, patiently.

Pricilla opened it and didn't even look at her aunt before rushing out the door, closing it behind her.

"Pricilla?" Annick called, making her stop.

"What's the matter?" She asked, walking up to her niece.

She stared at the ground, her curly hair covering her face.

Annick softly put a hand under her chin and raised her face up so that she could look at her.

The minute she looked at her niece's face, her blood boiled.

A bruise was formed under her eye.

"Where is she?" She asked sternly.

"She left this morning. I don't know where she went."

Annick led her niece to their car and Pricilla wasn't surprised to see her music teacher in the driver's seat.