//12//

I need to feel human again I wanted to feel something besides sad and angry. I wanted to feel nervous, embarrassed, jealous, love struck! Something! So I did what a 'human' would do.

I hugged zombie.. Tight.

I hugged him so tight I could hear him struggling to breath, but he hugged me back just as tight. It felt like the last hug I would ever give someone. Having someone to hold me made me feel relieved. That's human like right?

"There you go" zombie mumbled.

After a few minutes of hugging I let go. I missed the warmth already.

Killer you're human like everyone else here.

-

*two months later*

It only took two months to have squad 53 kicking ass!

Zombie was a better shooter and squad leader. Sammy wasn't crying as often as he use to and can finally hold up the M16. Peanut was a badass. Dumbo the smartest of us all, in the medical field doing what he does best using that big brain of his. Flint was still a jackass. Teacup was a tough little girl and she knows it because she shows it off. Oompa was good enough to beat flint in a fight, that shows a lot. Pound cake never talked but he's one of the best shooters. Tank never followed zombie's orders, only flint's. They were tight.

"You're squad isn't looking bad but it isn't looking good" Reznik says as I'm doing my knuckle push-ups. I've gotten use to the pain of my knuckles since I do this daily.

"yes, ma'am!" I shout and keep going.

Ninety-eight ninety-nine. A boot pushes me down to the floor hard. I hit my chin against the concrete floor.

"Would you look at that, killer stopped. Start over!" She yelled.

Reznik got meaner and meaner over time. Trying to kill me but at the same time keeping me alive. I stayed on the floor like I was dead, because for a second I thought I was.

I couldn't do anymore I'm too tired. I'm sweating through my shirt.

"Private killer did you hear me!" She yelled right in my ear.

"Ma'am yes ma'am!"

When I thought I couldn't do anymore, I gave her 100 more.

"Do you want to live or die?" She yelled.

"Ma'am, I want to live, ma'am!" I yelled and looked straight ahead standing like the soldier I am.

"What about you!" She yelled at nugget.

"Ma'am, I want to live, ma'am!" His squeaky voice yelled.

"Why!" She asked nugget.

Nugget stayed quite not knowing what to say. Reznik bend down to his level and stared into his eyes. He turned his look towards me to see what to do next.

"Don't look at her! Is she your mom?" Reznik yelled.

"Ma'am no ma'am" he said quietly and looked down.

"Then why are you looking at her!" Her loud voice echoed. "She's not your family! She's not your friend! She's just another soldier looking for revenge!"

"You don't say that to a kid" a voice spoke up.

For a second i though I said it and I was ready to face the consequences but it wasn't me, for the first time i didn't screw up. It was zombie, the one who spoke up protecting the youngest member in the squad.