Charlie

Chapter 30

Charlie 

My eyes burned with the hot tears that threatened to fall at any moment, but I wasn't about to give up and let myself be defeated. I had let Louis walk away once already after an argument, I wasn't about to do it again. 

Struggling against the security guards as they dragged me from the room, celebrities and A-listers all staring at me in shock and horror, all I could see were Louis' bright blue eyes staring at me, a thousand emotions coursing through them whilst his friends gathered round and watched me leave like the traitor I was. They would never forgive me for this, and I couldn't blame them. I had hurt their best friend in ways that was totally unacceptable. I just needed to explain, to tell my side of the story, and then I could get back on the plane to Ireland tomorrow and forget this all ever happened. Let Louis get on with his life and start to lead mine, away from all this madness. 

If I stayed I would only make it worse. Deep down I knew that. I was a disaster in a fancy dress right now. 

"Louis, please!" I screamed once more, but he just stood there, his shoulders slumped as he watched me motionless get taken from the room. He didn't want to fight, he didn't even want to know me anymore. I could understand that. 

I was taken out of the back door into a wide alley behind the building, where all the bins were located. It was pouring down with rain by the time I was shoved out, and I was instantly soaked. The raindrops were like bullets ricoceted off my body, but I barely felt them. I was numb now, inside and out. The security guards stood there, guarding the door, whilst I just remained motionless, my hair hanging in wet tendrails down to my waist and my arms wrapped around me, shoes still in hand, bare feet cold against the hard ground. I didn't know what to do, I didn't know where to go. I didn't even have my phone, or any money. 

Everything was such a mess, and the realisation made the tears finally start to fall. Huge great sobs wracked my body, and I knew I was making the security guards uncomfortable but I just couldn't stop. My bare shoulders were shaking and slick with rain, and I noticed how cold I actually was, not that there was anything I could do about it. In my hurry to escape Veronica's house I had forgotten any kind of cover up, having priorities higher than a shawl at that moment.  

I slipped my feet back into the heels I had been carrying and was about to turn away towards the end of the alley, thinking maybe I could catch a taxi and Laura or Katherine would still be at Veronica's so they could pay when I got there. It didn't matter, I just wanted to go home. 

"Wait!" A familiar voice called out behind me and I turned, shocked. I thought I would never hear that voice in person ever again. 

"Louis?" I asked, amazed. He had been running, and he slowed to a stop in front of me. I watched as the raindrops darkened his jacket until he was as soaked as I was. 

"I needed to know," he said breathless. 

"What?"

"How could you do that to someone?" he said, and I suddenly saw how angry he was. I braced myself for the onslaught, knowing he would not dissappoint. 

"I didn't do it intentionally," I began to say, but he interrupted. 

"Look Ronnie- or whatever the hell your name is-"

"It's Charlie-"

"-I don't care. It's fucked up what you did, making me fall for you like you did. Everything you said, it will always be a lie in my head. Do you know what that's like? It's sick!" he was really shouting now, but all I could think about was brushing a wet strand of hair away from his forehead and kissing him one more time.