Charlie

Chapter 10 

Charlie

          ‘Well, that could have gone better,’ I sighed, slumping down into the chair, not caring that I would crease the insanely expensive dress Veronica had leant me.

          ‘Yeah, probably, it was a bit Jekyll and Hyde,’ Laura laughed, sitting down next to me and rubbing my shoulder supportively.

          ‘They probably think you are bipolar,’ agreed Katherine, and I groaned loudly. This was a nightmare; I wasn’t ready to do this. Who were we kidding, thinking that I would be able to pull this off after only a week’s training? It was madness.

          ‘Calm down Charlie, everything will be fine. It was the first time, think of it as a trial run. At least you’ve met them now, it shouldn’t be so hard next time,’ Laura tried to reason, and I threw a half smile her way.

          ‘You know it’s bad when you’re more of a freak then Katherine in front of One Direction, I’m surprised you didn’t pass out with excitement,’ I said, turning to my dark haired friend.

          ‘It was a close call. And I don’t appreciate the sarcasm,’ she said, staring at me disapprovingly. ‘But seriously, how hot were they? I can’t believe Louis hugged you!’ she said, suddenly breaking out into a total fan girl smile. I rolled my eyes and smiled, but I had to agree.

          ‘Yeah, I guess they were,’ I conceded, and Katherine looked smugly at me before turning back to stage. Laura leant over to me and tapped my shoulder.

          ‘Are you doing OK?’ she whispered, and I would have said yes, but I was still unsure so I just shrugged.

          ‘I think so; it’s all still a bit surreal what we are doing. I’m just really glad you two are here for it,’ I said back, and she smiled. Just then the lights went down and a man in an expensive looking black suit appeared on stage, the spotlight trained on him. Apparently he was some comedian, but I had never heard of him. He was very funny though and I took it to mean he was presenting the whole show.

The whole show was amazing; I hadn’t seen anything like it before in my life. The lights shone multi-coloured, blazing across the stage as all the different acts came on a performed. There were dancers, comedians, singers and bands, all different and all brilliant.

          ‘This is unbelievable!’ Katherine shouted over to me through the music, her dark eyes shining with excitement. This is why I had agreed to do this, to make my friends happy. Or part of the reason anyway. I loved my friends to death, I would do anything for them, and this was my gift to them. Also I got something for myself, but that was just a plus. I wanted to see my friends happy, and by looking at their shining faces right now, even cynical Laura, I knew it had been the right thing to do. I just hoped it would go alright, the evening had only just begun.

          “Wasn’t that just amazing?” the comedian rushed back on stage as the previous act walked off waving, and we screamed in response. “Now, it’s the act you’ve all been waiting for. Five lads, brought together by chance, perhaps by fate, to create one of the biggest selling bands and record breakers of all time. Please, bring your hands together and raise your voices for…One Direction!” the crowd went absolutely mental as the comedian disappeared and the music started to pound, the familiar tune making me smile as Katherine started to scream. The lights came up and there they were, the five boys who we had met just over an hour ago.

          “Don’t they look amazing?” She screeched, right in my ear and making me flinch. I nodded in response and she beamed at me. "Thank you so much for bringing me Charlie, it means the world!” she said excitedly.