Blood Born - Chapter 33

Start from the beginning

"And we wouldn't have such an amazing daughter. Do you want to know who is to blame for all of this?" my father asked.

I wiped at the tears flowing down my cheeks. "Who?"

"The Guild. They shouldn't force any of the girls to do what they're doing. Royalty survived for years before The Guild came into existence. They can survive without it."

"Wh-what happened?" Charlene asked sitting up.

"You fainted," I muttered, my head hanging low.

"This place is a graveyard," she mumbled.

"It's not a graveyard. Something terrible happened is all." James's voice betrayed how he really felt. It trembled with each word spoken.

"Who did this? Who killed all these people?"

"It was The Guild. They are always responsible."

"Are you certain?" she questioned.

I stood and walked to one of the burnt corpses. Near the neck a piece of charred metal in the shape of the insignia. I tossed it on the ground in the middle of the group of people.

"What's that?" my father asked.

"Something they give to their elite assassins." Mother knelt down and scooped up the burnt broach. "When I was an assassin there were six girls that were made elite assassins. The Guild could call upon them at any time and retrieve them from their kings."

"How do you know this?" James asked.

"I was one of them. I have a broach just like this. I don't wear it anymore though."

"I sure hope not, mother."

"That is neither here nor there. What we need to do now is make a plan. When do we attack?"

"Attack? Attack who?" Charlene questioned.

"The Guild. I'm going to end them."

"You're not doing it alone, Evelyn," James said, grasping my hand and kissing the back of it.

"Perhaps not."

"The dragons are aiding in our cause. They're being affected by this situation now. which is why you saw me glowing all blue like. Draco and I grew in our bond."

"Amazing," she muttered.

I climbed onto Draco's back and nudged him. He nodded and turned toward the sky.

"Where do you think you're going?"

"St. Andrews. Don't worry, we're not attacking yet. I need to see what we're dealing with myself. Then I'll meet with the dragons to find out how they want to aid and how many want riders."

"I'm going, too." James stepped forward. His shoulders back and his head held high.

"How? Draco only carries his rider."

"My dragon. He's not far, and he gave me a special whistle to call for him."

"He did? When?"

"You're not the only one who sneaks off, Evelyn."

He held a shiny, golden whistle to his lips and blew. No sound emerged. The thing was broken.

"James, I hate to tell you, but that doesn't work."

"Shh," he said, watching the sky.

After a few moments, a dust cloud blew up as a loud thud came from behind. A large, old dragon shimmered into view.

"You called?" he asked.

"We're going to St. Andrews. I want you by my side."

"Of course, majesty. Does this have to do with the whispers amongst the dragon elders? About The Guild."

Draco nodded his massive head.

"You've changed," the old dragon said.

"We've had a bit of a new thing happen."

"The great bond?"

"Is that what it is?"

"You have much to learn, young one," the elder dragon said to Draco.

"So it seems."

"What that means is you've found your one true rider. The missing piece of who you are."

"Yes. I do feel different," Draco agreed.

"As do I."

"We will discuss this more at a later time. For now, let's see what The Guild is up to."

"We are also going to Kirkcaldy to meet with the elders."

"A wise idea."

As James mounted Draco, we waved farewell to those being left behind. I had to remember that I promised my mother I wouldn't attack yet. Of course, I knew it would be a poor decision. They seemed to be growing in numbers despite my debacle with them. The ground vanished beneath us as we zoomed through the clouds. We quickly left dry land behind and saw nothing but the blue of seas all around. I took to flying quite quickly, James though clung on for dear life.

I smiled, hoping this wouldn't be the last time we'd fly together.