Chapter 44

~Georgia's POV~

My fingers shake as I pull up the zipper, an uncertainty fogging me. I have to readjust the cap countless times, when my hands finally decide to cooperate. I run my hands down my red gown, trying to soothe my nerves. But I know this itching nervousness won't go away.

I hear a soft knock on the door, and my mother promptly enters the room.

"I thought you'd need help, putting on your cap and gown, but it looks like you've got it covered." her words are very choppy, and short, and her voice is lower, softer. I know she's hurting.

I smile at her,"Yeah, but it took me some time. Getting this cap to stay on my head is almost impossible." I tighten the pins that hold the cap to my head, and brush down my gown again. I turn to my mother, her mouth faking a smile. "Do I look alright?" I ask, hinting some concern.

She's very quiet for a moment, only looking at the floor blankly, her eyes drooping.

"Mom?"

She snaps back, leaning up. "Oh, yes, sorry, you look very lovely Georgia. Very beautiful."

I pull in my lips, pressing them together, then let out a big sigh. "Mom, what's wrong?" I come to her side, wrapping my arm around her.

"I'm fine Georgia." she replies, her voice laced with disguise.

"Lies. Now tell me." I accuse persistently.

She lifts her head towards me, small tears forming in her eyes, and her voice is barely audible, "I-I." Her words fall out of place, and hit the floor. Her head droops back towards the ground. "I'm just going to miss you." she admits finally, squeezing my arm.

I let out a half smile, and pull her closer. "Mom, I'm right here."

 She sniffs a few times, then sets her head on my shoulder, probably trying to remember, and keep my every touch, and every word. I lean into my mother, and close my eyes remembering when I was younger, and when everything was different.

When I was 4 my mother would dress me up, in party dresses, and have tea parties with me. When we'd go to the movies together when I was 10. We'd get pedicures together when I was 13. It all comes back, as if I've never lived them before. But I know those days won't come back. Because my mother has changed. She forced popularity and reputation upon me, and so I drifted away from her. And now that I'm leaving, I'm thinking she regrets it. And I can almost swear I hear my mother whisper, "I'm sorry," a few times as we are standing there, embracing each other.

There is a knock on the door, and Tyler pokes his head in. His face lights up and he screams, "Group hug!" My mother instantly lets go of me, trying to get away, "No, Tyler, no, st-" Tyler's strong squeeze, all brings us together in a big grip. Tyler leans his chin on the top of my head, and sighs. "Oh how I love you both."

I squirm a bit and say, "Tyler, your wrinkling my gown."

The pressure of Tyler's strong arms is instantly released, and he backs away, letting my mother gasp in relief.

"Oops, sorry Georgia. Little graduate, you!" he taps my nose like a child.

I scrunch my nose, and glare at him. "Oh hush."

There is yet another knock at the door, and my father walks in. "It's time to go. Are we all ready?"

I smile and answer,"Yup, I'm ready daddy!"

A rare smile creeps on my father's face, but only for a moment. Oh no, my father is not the one to show emotion. He then nods sternly, wiping the grin off a few seconds later. "Good, lets go."